Fiend
Newly Registered

3 different peppers on the same plant

I am new to this platform but had to find somewhere to ask since I have never experienced this before.

This years growing batch, I ended up having all of my tags scorched by the hot Florida sun. That being said I can tell what most of the plants are from either the peppers or the leaves.
This one particular plant is ...interesting.
It appears to be growing 3 different types of peppers on it. (No grafts, grown from seed)
From what I can tell, in the chili's early stages of growth there appears to be cayenne, cow horn and some sort of super-hot bumpy bonnet pepper growing on the plant.
Anyone have any experience with this or by chance know why it might happen?

Any info would be most appreciated.

Best regards,
Fiend

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

Never had anything like that, but maybe some of the peppers are just stunted, compared to the fully grown cayenne, because of too many peppers at once. Sometimes this happens to larger peppers.

applestar
Mod

So you are saying this happened on one plant — and you are sure that other plants didn’t get entangled with this one, right?

— What is the variety ? — what is the expected fruit size and shape? (band color? — have they ripened yet?)
— you said you gre this from seed ... where did you get the seeds?
— is the plant healthy? Do you see any stunted growth in the leaves and new shoots?

...simplest explanation might be that the heat and possibly fluctuating moisture levels — too much vs. too little— are affecting pollination (partial/incomplete pollination due to heat and humidity can result in deformed fruits since parts that were not pollinated will not grow seeds and stunt the fruit placenta/wall development resulting in irregular fruit formation ... if will be interesting to see if these fruits have fully developed seeds along the placenta.
...if the plant is having pest issues like mites or stinkbugs, they could have affected the fruit development

— based on above assumption, the expected fruit type, size and shape would be cowhorn-shape and flavor would be hot.

ETA — I’m agreeing with @pepperhead :wink:

Return to “Pepper Forum”