skimzzz
Newly Registered

Why trim branches for overwintering?

Every youtube video I've seen on overwintering pepper plants trims them down brutally down to a stump. Is this necessary?

This will be my first overwinter attempt for a scorpion pepper plant grown indoors. It's about a foot high, and I'd like to keep it as is to get a jump start for next growing season. What happens if I don't trim it back and just let the leaves fall off during the winter?

applestar
Mod

If it is bearing fruits, let it finish up, but think of this like pruning and training fruit trees. At the very least,you want to get rid of twiggy weak branches and establish main scaffold structure.

Also, usually compared to the bright strength of the sunlight from all directions, indoor lighting is inevitably weaker and can’t penetrate heavy canopy into the interior, so it’s best to eliminate inward growing branches to open up the interior to light and air — I generally aim for “vase” style.

Instead of simply shortening branches, you can also utilize bonsai or basic fruit tree training techniques like wiring or hanging weights, using V-branch spreaders (I just use wooden clothespins)... etc. to spread out the branches more and create pleasing shape.

You will still want to prune excess branches because some older woody/hardened branches and stems will not grow new buds as readily as younger greener branches.

After approximately midway between winter solstice and spring equinox, my indoor peppers burst into spring growth regardless of outdoor conditions, and they will grow multiple buds that will need to be selectively pinched. If your peppers still have twiggy weak branches, they will not produce as vigorous buds, and the new growths will be too thick and heavy to be supported.

Shortening entire plant to Y-shaped stubs is another option that you probably came across. This is a drastic method but allows you to save many more peppers for overwintering in a limited space, and they do grow back, though slower to fullness than if you left more branches on the plant.

...Also, sometimes, doing this and counting on tender new buds to grow back can result in plant loss if you are unable to manage indoor pests like aphids and mites since the plants won’t be able to afford to lose the limited available leaves and tender growths will not be able to withstand strenuous treatments to eradicate them.

—- I hope that all made sense ... the reply got long and I lost my train of thought.... :oops:

imafan26
Mod

The other reason I would think it would be best to prune peppers besides renewing them, is to leave and critters and disease outside. Older peppers do benefit from renewal cuttings. As Applestar says the branches get twiggy and thin and the leaves get smaller. It will take up less space indoors too.

Return to “Pepper Forum”