Lakshmivilla
Newly Registered

Help identifying a pepper

I planted a few pepper plants in early summer but this one just grew and grew without fruiting. Recently it's throwing a ton of fruit and I can't remember if they are habanero or Serrano (or something else?) can you guys confirm identification? Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_2100.jpg

applestar
Mod

Are those the only two choices? Serrano should be skinnier and long, I think, and it’s hard to tell but this fruit looks thick walled — there are wide variation in habanero but they are all generally thin-walled, some are lobed, with folds/wrinkles. The dark color could be misleading but it reminds me more of poblano, though this fruit looks too short and pointy.....

BUT - If those are the only choices, then I think this is more likely to be habanero.

applestar
Mod

If this is a thick-walled pepper, then the shape of it — and I now see another one like it through the fence so presumably typical for this plant — reminds me of Pimiento pepper.

Lakshmivilla
Newly Registered

That is not the only choice but I definitely did not plant pimiento, maybe it is a pablano? It's also possible they aren't full grown yet?
Attachments
IMG_2104.jpg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

My first thought, when I saw that pepper, was an immature poblano, so if that was one that you planted, maybe that's it. It also looks like a small pimento; though it has been many years since I have grown those, I do remember that they were late producers, so that would be more likely - I have never grown a poblano that produced this late. But then, you said that you planted them in early summer. When was that? May have been a month or more after I usually plant mine, so maybe this isn't as late as it seems.

If it were a habanero, you would smell (and taste) that unique chinense aroma, even when green, though it increases greatly when ripe. Have you tried any of them yet?

Lakshmivilla
Newly Registered

Ok the immature Pablano makes sense, to be honest I don't remember what I planted and what survived the summer but I've never heard of a pimento so I doubt that is what it is, it would have been something I have heard of/eaten before. We're in Texas so it stays warm into the year and we had a lot of rain in September so I think that spurred the growth. Do you know how long it takes for the poblano fruit to mature?

Return to “Pepper Forum”