nosta

2018 - what peppers are you growing?

Subject: 2017 - what peppers are you growing?
ZorbarPTLX wrote:It seems like reaper. You can see the "sting" forming at the bottom of the pepper.
The Carolina Reaper was developed in my hometown. If you want to be sure you are getting authentic seed look up the Puckerbutt Pepper Company. They are in Fort Mill SC but will ship anywhere I think. https://puckerbuttpeppercompany.com/

imafan26
Mod

Wow, the chocolate habs are huge! I am getting a later start than usual due to the weird weather we have been having with cold fronts coming every other week it seems. The sun just came out the other day. California should be seeing the left overs from the storm front that came by us now.
Since the temperature has been in the lower 60's at night and 75 in the daytime one week and 80 the next it has been hard to get peppers started. I did start the bells, they like it a little cooler but the super hots prefer it hotter. I planted some new bells this year. Emerald Giant, Snapper (did pretty well last year and it lasted a while), Experimental variety #9, CharlestonBelle ( I really like this one for my climate), Big Dipper, and my regular pepper Chinese Giant. The rain damaged the red habanero and it has bacterial spot, I may have to cut it back or cull it. Hungarian hot wax came through the rain better. I just planted more hot peppers scotch bonnet, cayenne, thai hot, serrano, super chili,shishito, tabasco, Wailua (local Jalapeno type), and Hawaiian chili. The hungarian wax already has peppers on it. Some of the other peppers have flowers.
I have some reaper seeds. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have had problems with instability in the newer varieties of ghost pepper and Jalapeno M ( I don't plant it anymore, it is too unstable). I may have to wait for the weather to settle a bit more before I plant more of the super hots.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

I'm trying Corno di Toro giallo for the first time. I thought I read that it was "difficult" but germination has been good and I already have some true leaves started, under lights. We'll see how it performs once it's planted out.

I don't grow hot peppers unless you count Anaheim which is only mildly spicy, but just to our taste. It grows well here; sometimes harvested green but ripening to red in the better summers.

The sweet bells California wonder and Earlical can be grown here but I never get much production from them, and some years they fail to ripen to red. Not sure why I keep trying; they're a lot cheaper in the stores than they used to be, and of good quality.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

VanisleBC, this isn't quite your neck of the woods - altho I could complain about these heavy rainclouds you have been sending our way, lately :wink: . It's hardly a benefit living 300 miles from the Pacific and hiding behind 14,000 foot mountains if our spring weather is gonna behave like this! Anyway, we will have hot, dry weather for the growing season and I will still have trouble growing some varieties of peppers.

I may have been born in California but it doesn't help much with growing California Wonder ... I gave up on it long ago. On the other hand, Corno di Toro was probably the most productive pepper that I have ever had in my garden. It was the "rosso" type and got me started down the Italian Sweet path.

As a group, I just think that they are easier to grow and develop more properly. That's been my experience with some and I still have a few bell plants. It has been King of the North in recent years. It isn't the perfect variety and I really have trouble with all of them. Nevertheless, I want peppers and some choices are better suited to these conditions here than others.

Steve

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

digitS' wrote:VanisleBC, this isn't quite your neck of the woods - altho I could complain about these heavy rainclouds you have been sending our way
digitS' - Sorry about the rainclouds but no matter how quickly we send them your way, there are always more arriving. I can empathize with your geographic situation; used to live in Prince George which is about 500 miles from anyplace you might want to go, including the ocean. Summers were nice but winters had their disadvantages :). I didn't try gardening there. Digging through deep snow to check on my boat in MAY was all the exercise I needed. On trips to the coast I would almost faint at the sight of daffodils in February.

You make it sound as if Corno di Toro will be a good choice for me. You grow the red one; do you know how it compares with the yellow, in taste or ease of growing? As for the California-type sweet bells, they're one of the things I'd just as soon get at the grocery. I never grow them well but we can buy tasty ones, probably greenhouse grown "locally." It's kind of comforting to hear an ex-Californian feels the same about them.

Incidentally, elsewhere on the forum folks were talking about what is & is not worth growing. I was surprised to see carrots on the "don't bother" list. Hereabouts the store-bought carrots taste like - well - nothing at all. Maybe a bit of wood that's somehow been made crunchy.

PS, for any Prince George or other north-central-BC residents: Mostly kidding - I really enjoyed my time there.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I did not try the Corno di Toro giallo. The pictures I see make it look like I have missed out.

Something I read was that the sweet peppers with Caribbean names are also Italian sweet peppers. Several did just fine; the Biscayne Cubanelle stood out but they were not a DW favorite.

Carmen does well, also. I don't have it this year for the first time in awhile. Marconi peppers are almost a standard by now. I feel good that I didn't get locked in on the bells.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

I was thinking of planting Corno d'Toro Giallo too. I think I got the seeds from Baker. I have so many varieties to plant I don't know when I will get to them.

I used to plant Cal Wonder peppers too. It is one of the varieties that should grow well here, but I don't get great production from any bell pepper because most just don't have enough disease resistance. Cal wonder was small. I liked Snapper better. It even managed to live over a year. Ultimately the long bull horn and cubanelle type sweet peppers are crisper for frying, more productive and live a lot longer than bells.

Greenhousesalsa

Ok everyone, how do you battle aphids?
Over the last couple of years I have planted jalapenos, hot and not hot, marconi,
Regular bell peppers, ancho, poblano and habanero.
They end up full of aphids within a matter of weeks.
In the instance where I bought plants from a nursery and used soil they sold, it was a matter of minutes! Fought them all season long.
Gotten to the point it is not worth the expense for all the Neem oil or other chemicals, or even dish soap, to get 5 or 6 decent peppers all season.
So, how do you do it?

applestar
Mod

This is my method — and I do this in the house. :twisted: — my family has accepted that this is “normal” nutz: :>
:arrow: Subject: Embrace Your INNER APE - dealing with APHIDS >> got ladybugs

...lookitthat the thread is from 2014 — yes I have been releasing ladybugs in the house every winter to Patrol my overwintering peppers and also tomato, etc. seedlings. You said elsewhere that you are using an indoor and outdoor greenhouse, so enclosed areas like that are ideal. You can also cover plants you want to protect with a screen/netting and release the ladybugs inside the enclosure.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Fortunately, the only peppers I have had aphid infestations on were those under cover - something I have to do to prevent pepepr maggots. It seems they come out of the ground, and the higher humidity, and maybe the higher heat under the Agribon, and no predators, was perfect for them. If you are using greenhouses, this may be a similar problem.

I sprinkled a bunch of banana peel ( I save this all year, and grind it to a powder), as I had seen somewhere that this helps, but one year they still showed up. So next season, I got some ladybugs, and every 2 or 3 weeks I toss in another handful of them, under the cover, and it works great! I just ordered 1500 of them on eBay last night. They keep in the fridge for a couple of months.

However, ladybugs don't do the job on some of the uncovered plants I have, one of which is okra, which gets black aphids on the undersides of the leaves. Early on, before flowering (I don't want to get surround on the okra), I spray some Surround on them, but the thing that seems to help the most, is putting some tanglefoot at the base of the stalks, and I make sure no leaves are touching the ground, or something else around. This will not only trap aphids, but the main problem, which you have probably seen on those plants: ants! They farm the aphids, and if you can get rid of them, hopefully, this will also get rid of the aphids. You can try this on peppers, too, and I will try this on the ones I grow under cover. Just last year, I got some spray tanglefoot - not sure how it works, compared to brush on, but it seems more convenient. Also brush it on any stakes you have used on the peppers, and this is another way for them to travel onto the plants.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

About the only place that aphids are a problem for the peppers is in the greenhouse, early. Outdoors, it's the brassicas that the aphids swarm. Brussels sprouts, Russian kale ... cabbage.

I have already found a few aphids on the greenhouse plants. Wrinkled leaves that require a very gentle "massage" to start down the road to healing. The aphids are so tiny that even with my reading glasses, it's difficult to see them.

Then outdoors, it's the insecticidal soap or neem route. Greenhouse, if the aphids are throughout several flats of whatever -- I find that effectiveness to spraying increases by spraying outdoors.

These soft-bodied pests are killed by clogging respiratory apparatus and by dehydration. There is a fair amount of humidity in the greenhouse. Outdoors, there is less humidity. Humid conditions are to the aphids advantage. Leaving half of them, or whatever, can be very INeffective. They must repopulate everything like overnight! Born pregnant, we are told ...

Howsomeever ... these sprays meant to make life impossible for the aphid can harm tender plants. In the garden, spray near sundown. I have even returned to rinse plants with the hose the following morning. With products intended for plant use, this probably isn't necessary but keeping the plant out of direct sunlight for several hours makes the treatment less risky for them.

You want to be thorough and have conditions favorable for tearing up the aphid colonies but with a gentle environment for plant convalescence. Greenhouse plants outdoors on sawhorses in the shade for several hours after spraying, then back under greenhouse protection for the night is about the best I can do for them.

Steve

applestar
Mod

So far, this year’s successful peppers grown from seeds are:

Aleppo, Syrian strain
Aloha (sunset/wholefoods) M2
—- generally accepted as likely a mutagen-induced mutant, propagated true only by cuttings. When M2 seeds are used, fruits are said to be solid yellow, productive, thick-walled and sweet. (AKA Striped Holland, Enjoya)
Barker’s Hot (green chili)
Bill’s Striped (P-sweet -a ) #4
Giant Sweet Devil’s Horn
Goldfish (orange Fish sport?)
Hab Chocolate
Hanoi Market, bagged 2016
NuMex Lemon Spice (3 seeds from runty Winter’17-18)
Numex Jalmundo
Numex Sandia
Oxhorn of Carmagnola (P, sweet, red - a )
Rainforest variegata
Sweet Orange Doux cross

Other non-tomato solanacea —
Eggplant, Diamond
Eggplant, Hon Naga Nasu (Japanese)
Tomatillo, Green
Tomatillo, Purple

imafan26
Mod

I haven't really had any apid problems except on one weak kale that I pulled and black aphids on green onions and beans. I cut back the green onions and the beans are pulled when they are done. I don't bother to treat for aphids. Other than for the black aphids, and some citrus aphids when the citrus puts out new growth, I don't really have a problem If the plants are healthy and they get good air circulation it helps. I do put out ant bait to control the citrus aphids. I put terro near the base of the citrus tree and I make sure I jet water at the leaves every day when I water. I hose off the peppers too, but that is more for whiteflies than for aphids. I have fennel that attracts aphids and lady bugs. Even the fennel hardly has aphids anymore, I plant other nectary plants for beneficial insects like alyssum and marigolds. I really don't spray my plants with pesticides especially the vegetables. I do have to treat the roses and ornamentals, but they are in the front yard. I don't treat any of the roses in my backyard where I have edibles.
Except for water, terro ant bait and occasionally alcohol, I have a pretty strong garden patrol that takes care of most of the pest problems. I do have a problem with thrips and mites. I also have plumeria, hibiscus, orchids and gardenia which are thrip magnets, but since I don't want to get rid of them, I have to live with the thrip damage.

Today I planted a few more peppers
Anaheim, Wailua (local Jalapeno type), Pepperoncini, Hawaiian chili, and serrano.
I potted up Waimanalo long (purple eggplant) and long green eggplant.
I planted more crackerjack marigolds, mammoth, and Lemon Queen sunflowers and some garden sage.
I potted up some older Wailua peppers and eggplant. I also planted the rooted cutting from the crown flower (Giant milkweed), and Bearss lime. I had to go to work so I still have more peppers, amaranth, and limes to finish potting up and I need to transplant the Tithonia, sunflowers, milkweed, buddleia, and amaranth cuttings into pots. I have some seedlings that have sprouted in the compots and I haven't gotten to those yet.

applestar
Mod

Are you saying you start tithonia and sunflowers in compots (community pots)? I didn’t know they could take the transplanting — are they easier to handle because of the larger size?

imafan26
Mod

I plant almost everything in compots (community pots). The seeds are big enough to start in individual pots, but it saves me space to plant them in compots. I get fewer empty pots taking up space. The larger seedlings are easier to handle, I just have to transplant them out to individual pots when the first true leaf starts to come out. It is harder to transplant with success once the roots tangle and then I have more breakage taking them apart. I plant 8-10 in a community pot sometimes more. I plant parsley, dill, and cilantro in community pots as well. The roots of these plants are finer and I do lose some in transplanting but I would have to plant multiples and thin if I planted in individual pots anyway. It would still take up more space than the compots. I have transplanted 3 ft tall sunflowers in 3.5 inch pots to the garden. They don't grow as big as they should when they are in a pot that long but they transplant ok. They usually need staking when they are that tall. If I transplant to the garden when they have 4 true leaves, they grow much bigger.

kayjay
Green Thumb

I've only started Cal Wonder, Jalapeno and Mini Orange Bell from seed. I have limited light-space indoors for starting seedlings. Closer to last frost, I'll see how much extra space I have and what's available at local stores. I've grown Cute Stuff and Cayennetta purchased from local stores and they did really well in my yard.

Boboe

My 2018 peppers are some of the same from past years, and some new peppers.

Hots:
Yellow Bhut jalokia
Lemon Drop (Aji Limon) - holdovers from last year
Cayenne --don't know what color they'll be yet. Fruits are still green.
Random Banana hybrid --was supposed to be a regular banana pepper, but it makes thick-walled banana peppers that are as hot as a jalapeno. Holdover from last year

Sweets:
Topeppo di Giallo
Ozark Giant bell pepper
Mira

I started all my new plants indoors on Dec 1. I've got fruits on everything, but haven't picked any peppers from the new plants yet. We had a pretty cold spring this year. I'm looking forward to tasting the Topeppo di Giallo and the Mira if they'll ever ripen, and seeing how hatefully hot the Bhut is.

Java

We are at a new place with big lot. But has lots of trees so very small area with good sun shine. Due to space constraints not too many varieties.

I have started these pepper;
1. Yellow sweet pepper.
2. Red sweet pepper.
3. Indian hot pepper.

I got the seeds by buying the peppers at the store. Peppers usually take a long time to flower and produce fruit. But the sweet peppers have already started flowering. I am a little surprised.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

I didn't respond to the comments about aphids because I haven't had the problem. Then again I haven't been growing peppers in the greenhouse. But I'm trying it this year with 3 'remainder' seedlings - don't even know what they are.

Outdoors, among the riskily-early set out peppers, Corno di Toro are more vigorous than Earlical or the - really puny - Cal Wonders.
digitS' wrote:VanisleBC, this isn't quite your neck of the woods - altho I could complain about these heavy rainclouds you have been sending our way, lately :wink: . It's hardly a benefit living 300 miles from the Pacific and hiding behind 14,000 foot mountains if our spring weather is gonna behave like this!
Don't feel bad Steve, we're having Junuary again like last year, after an enticingly warm May.

applestar
Mod

Java wrote:We are at a new place with big lot. But has lots of trees so very small area with good sun shine. Due to space constraints not too many varieties.

I have started these pepper;
1. Yellow sweet pepper.
2. Red sweet pepper.
3. Indian hot pepper.

I got the seeds by buying the peppers at the store. Peppers usually take a long time to flower and produce fruit. But the sweet peppers have already started flowering. I am a little surprised.
Most store-bought peppers are usually hybrid varieties so, as the offspring plants from those seeds, you may not end up with exactly the same fruit characteristics when they produce, but this should be interesting. Hopefully they will be as good or better.

Java

applestar wrote: Most store-bought peppers are usually hybrid varieties so, as the offspring plants from those seeds, you may not end up with exactly the same fruit characteristics when they produce, but this should be interesting. Hopefully they will be as good or better.
I am starting to realize that. I saved a lot Indian hot pepper seeds. Last year's peppers were not as hot as the store pepper. This years plant leaf already looks very different from last year's. The leaf is much bigger. So I have no idea what or how it is going to look. All I want is hot peppers.

I hope the sweet pepper plants produce similar to the store bought peppers. Those were very colorful and tasted good.

imafan26
Mod

Right now I only have a few Emerald Giant, Chinese Giant, Hungarian Wax, Hawaiian Chili, Super Chili, Anaheim, Serrano, Wailua (a local Jalapeno), Habanero Red, Trinidad Scorpion, and Carolina Reaper.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Despite this excessive moisture wreaking havoc on my tomatoes, cukes, and and melons, as usual, nothing seems to bother the peppers! I have had most of them live in droughts, as well as the wettest year on record (forget the year, just the horrible crops of almost everything else!) , with minor problems (KOW).

I have two (maybe three) more Aji Dulce lovers! Besides the fact that the plant is producing an incredible number of peppers, and the flavor rivals any habanero I have grown, there is almost no heat! Of course, I usually don't think of peppers this way, but I have friends who have never been able to sample the delicious flavor of habaneros, and it has always seemed to me, that the milder the hab, the less of that flavor in that variety. I tried that Habanada last season, but it didn't even taste like a chinense pepper. I tried this one years ago, but got very few fruits per plant, all ripening very late in the season, but I thought that I'd try again, and I'm glad I did! I have one plant that has produced all of these ripe ones, so far, but the one in the front is starting, and has a lot of peppers on it. I am going to try to isolate a stem on the good one, however, and save some seeds from those peppers.

The Chocolate Habanero in the same SIP is also producing great. All of these are from the two plants that I just harvested ripe ones from 3 days ago:
ImageIMG_20180824_224139492 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are the ones that I dried from the Aji Dulce, 3 days ago:
ImageIMG_20180821_151901263 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are misc from today, again, only 3 days since I picked every one with a hint of ripe on it!
ImageIMG_20180824_224428140 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here is one of the 3 trays of Thais from 3 days ago (with that tray of aji dulce under it):
ImageIMG_20180821_152644699 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

This is a white habanero plant, with probably a couple hundred peppers on it, many not visible, since they are green. But you can see how many are ripening! Too small to grow again, as I get a lot more in weight from larger peppers, but the flavor is good, and maybe around 200k in heat:
ImageIMG_20180824_194230781 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The first black pearl is beginning to ripen! This was started very late (I had put the seed starting tray on the back porch, giving up on anything left, and this showed up almost a month later, with no watering!), so this is fairly early, compared to some black peppers I've grown:
ImageIMG_20180824_194140692 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

Looking great as always pepperhead212 — I love seeing your pepper reports. :D

I bought a packet of Aji Dulce seeds years ago, but I was never able to get them to grow. This was BEFORE overcoming my pepper seed starting problems, so maybe it’s time I tried again, especially since the variety has your reliable endorsement. I’ll put it back on my future grow list.

This year’s experimentation is proving again that the more difficult hot peppers grow much better in SIP’s and also revealing some hots that will take to growing in smaller than expected to be happy containers. Those probably would explode in SIP’s (like yours) instead of occasional pods here and there. I have a some that have overwintered 2 or 3 years and still quietly produce.

They are also repeating the experience of looking nearly dead for a while due to mite infestation blasting every visibly possible growing buds... then growing what looks like a last ditch effort bud here and there that grow on to healthy growth — no Mites — and starting to bloom and produce fruits much later in the season. Then just when I think “mite problems might be over”, perfectly healthy-growing full size plants that were producing fruits start showing signs of infestation and all the upper growths become russeted and flowerbuds blasted.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It was almost 110º HI here today, but I went out anyway, just to harvest ripe peppers! lol Besides about 50 Hanoi Markets I picked, here are the rest of the peppers. All of those Aji Dulces (the red chinense peppers on the left) and Chocolate habs are from one plant each, though the plants in the front are beginning to ripen, so soon I will be getting even more of them!
ImageIMG_20180829_184553307 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Apple, if you want some, I am planning on saving the seeds from the aji dulce plant in the back, that is ripening so much earlier than the one in the front. I'm bagging a stem, like I always do with peppers, then saving the seeds from the peppers on that, so there will be no crossing. I got some seeds in a trade this year, and planted 6 of the plants from them, since some of my others hadn't germinated, and I had spaces to fill in. Turns out, only one was the original pepper, the rest like some long Thai peppers - still good, but that's what happens with peppers, when not isolated!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Here are those peppers! Or at least. some of them - there were a few jalapeños, chiles de agua, and some Thai peppers, that I left, to keep them separate from the jyotis, as they look similar, with the jyotis a little longer.

Here is almost a gallon of chocolate habs. The second plant started to ripen, and it's loaded. Still, I saved the seeds from the first one, since it started ripening way sooner:
ImageIMG_20180905_142759488 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A little over 2 qts of Aji Dulce (after a quart was given to a friend that was over):
ImageIMG_20180905_142841456 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

About 2 qts of Aji Rico, from just one plant. Very productive, but not sure if I like them; tried them green and red; may be better dried:
ImageIMG_20180905_142957087 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are the jyotis - an Indian pepper, good green, red, and dried; much like Thais, but not as hot:
ImageIMG_20180905_143338073 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And here are a few of several types - Gold Bullet, Superthai, Lombak, Hanoi Market (after freezing a pint - these have to ripen a little more), Aleppo, and Big Jim (I roasted and peeled 8 green ones last night):
ImageIMG_20180905_143405662 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Here are those peppers! Or at least. some of them - there were a few jalapeños, chiles de agua, and some Thai peppers, that I left, to keep them separate from the jyotis, as they look similar, with the jyotis a little longer.

I can't stand this heat, but the peppers love it!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today, before it rained again, I harvested all those peppers that have been ripening since late Friday (when the skies opened up!).

Those chocolate habaneros look like they are on steroids! Those are off of just two plants, and there are countless partly ripe, and green peppers on the two plants, as well. The Ahi Dulce next to them were also from two plants:
ImageIMG_20180912_190132183 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

These are all the rest of the peppers in the back, several short Thai peppers, Jalafuega, Big Jim, Aji Rico, Chile de Agua, Lombak, and Superthai.
ImageIMG_20180912_190554674 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And here are the ones from the front - the orange Hanoi Market, two Aleppos, the gold bullets, and those white habaneros, which are the whitest peppers I have seen yet!
ImageIMG_20180912_191522391 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

Wow! They look fantastic! You are going to be busy for a while, and eat well from your pantry this winter. :D

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Corno di Toro giallo from seed, my first time for this variety. Looks like a good yield but the first ripe specimen was disappointing taste-wise; pretty bland. I expected sweetness but not heat, got neither. Other fruits not yet showing colour.

Anaheim, my general-purpose favourite; Slight heat when green, a bit more but not a lot when red-ripe (I don't grow real "hots.") These are purchased plants, also not yet colouring up. I want to save seed but don't know if my isolation "bagging" will interfere with flowering & fruiting. I've used women's "silky" short stockings (from the dollar store.) They cramp the plants quite a bit and block a lot of light so I'm dubious. How do other folks isolate pepper flowers for seed saving? Mine aren't under cover so paper won't do when it rains.

Also Earlical & Cal Wonder. This last one's a very poor performer here; not sure why I bother with it. Earlical is better but not great. May or may not get past green stage.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I harvested some more peppers today - some Jyotis, an Indian pepper. These look like long Thai peppers, and I think I labeled them as such in an above photo, because I had them mixed. I haven't tried the dried ones yet, but I'm hoping that they can be a replacement for the Superthai - my favorite pepper for nam prik pao - which is a hybrid that they stopped carrying, and I'm having a hard time stabilizing it.

This is a very good example of what I often refer to as a determinate pepper variety. The first photo is a photo of what I harvested from two Jyoti plants, and those two plant had almost no visible open flower blossoms, but a lot of closed ones. And I think maybe 3 or 4 green peppers, amongst all of these dead ripe peppers. Those slightly lighter colored ones are Superthais, just to show the size difference:
ImageIMG_20180916_101520974 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And here is one of the plants, showing how many flowers opened up in just over 14 hours! It seems to me that peppers can be even more determinate than tomatoes. I don't think that I've ever seen one like this, either pepper or tomato
ImageIMG_20180916_100807592 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

One of the advantages to this pepper is that they are easy to harvest; that is, the peppers pull right off, without having to use two hands, to avoid breaking off the stem. We all know how that goes! :x Less heat than the Superthai, or any of the smaller ones - maybe 30k. And it was good as a fresh green pepper in the one Indian dish I used it in, so I'll probably harvest the rest green, and freeze them.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

More peppers yesterday! I am definitely not going to be able to eat all of these chocolate habs. I picked a heaping 4 qt bowl of them from just two plants - about as much as I got from all the rest combined!
ImageIMG_20180921_172153606 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here is one of those plants, showing many of the ripe chocolate habs. I didn't even pick all of them - only totally ripe ones, and there were many more.
ImageIMG_20180921_164926340 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Return to “Pepper Forum”