Boboe

Yellow Bhut jalokia seedling

I've started a yellow Bhut indoors. It's a few weeks old. The true leaves look to be a little yellow compared to the cotyledones. It is potted in the organic Miracle Grow potting soil. All the other peppers and tomatoes started in soil from the same bag look fine.

Does it look nitrogen deficient to y'all? I've never grown super hots before, and I have read they're fickle. Give me your thoughts.
Attachments
IMG_20171228_192952394.jpg
IMG_20171228_192947919.jpg

applestar
Mod

The potting mix does look a bit woody so N deficiency is not out of the question. The peppers are also very susceptible to overwatering and in the case of relatively big container like this, underwatering as well if you are bottomwatering. The peppers are slow to grow roots so the root system can be somewhat shallow. Be sure to continue to provide bottom heat so the roots grow strong.

If you are seeing fungus gnats, you need to nip them before infestation takes hold. Pepper seedlings with weak root systems can be badly affected by the root-hair eating fungus gnat maggots. Use sticky traps or bowls of soapy water to trap the adults.

For extra nutrients, I would start with something very mild like liquid kelp or vermicompost tea at 1/3 or 1/2 strength. I would also consider UCG (used coffeee grounds) and UTB (used teabags) in the water or diluted leftover coffee or tea. IF you are seeing fungus gnats, you could alternate with cinnamon-infused water or chamomile tea.

The white stuff on the surface could be mycorrhizae in the organic potting mix (which is a good thing — they will break down the woody material into nutrients plants can use), but if this is saltbloom from excessive chemical fertilizer, then that could be affecting the seedling as well and need to be flushed. Note that cinnamon and chamomile which are natural fungicides will probably be detrimental to the mycos — you just have to make a choice.

BTW, my Bhut-types have always been a little bit yellower green than regular bell-types and don’t even try to compare with the dark green pablano-types and jalapeño-types ...and I think serrano types might be more blue-green but I might be wrong about that.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Since all the rest of the varieties you have planted in the same soil, and other conditions similar, I assume, it's quite possible that the variety is the culprit. Last season I had one new (to me) variety - Aleppo - that did the same thing, even once in the ground, and stayed that way the entire season! Yet, both plants produced large numbers of peppers, and no other plants around them had this problem. Go figure!

Boboe

Thanks for the info, y'all.

The white on the soil is fungus. I haven't added any chemical fertilizers to this.

I have been seeing little gnats, but didn't know they were an issue. There's now a soapy water bowl to kill them. Thanks for the heads up.

This is planted in a solo cup. That's considered big?

I've considered I was over watering, which would yellow the plant. But as Pepperhead said, the other varieties of peppers and tomatoes look fine. Maybe it's getting too much water for the variety. It looks to be established decently well now (4 true leaves), so I'm less worried about it wilting and dying. I'll keep a better eye on the soil dampness and let it get a bit drier.

Looking down the line when I re-pot, what amendments do y'all like to give hot peppers? I've got a nearly-unlimited supply of fresh fish carcasses. I also have a compost pile with yard clippings and kitchen vegetable scraps. The worms make nice dirt out of it. Anything else? Any ratio suggestions?

Lastly, would you pinch the cotyledones off of the plant? If so, when?

Boboe

Two weeks later and she's looking good. It has begun to put out lateral growth.
Attachments
IMG_20180114_012559690_HDR.jpg

Return to “Pepper Forum”