Bex717

To prune or not to prune jalapeño plant ?

Hello. My jalapeño plant is almost a year and a half old and going strong. Got tons of peppers in the spring. It is getting quite large but has a ton of blossoms right now. Should I be pruning this plant?

Thanks!
Becky
Phoenix, AZ
Attachments
F4195EDD-6877-44E7-AB3F-3541C93C2C6D.jpeg

applestar
Mod

I would. Peppers tend to grow whole bunch of extra shoots from same nodes, so it's a good idea to select just one to grow in desirable direction, removing weaker twiggy ones and ones growing inward towards center of the plant, crossing branches, etc. This is a good chance to pick a good framework of major trunk and branches. Weaker ones may not be able to support the weight of the fruits once laden.

Also, especially with something like jalapeños, you don't want the fruit size to suffer due to the plant trying to support too many.

The arching stem/branch is causing multiple shoots to grow upward, trying to be the leader (highest growing point). Remove upward growing shoots on the arch near the center of the plant -- they will shade the entire plant. Then pick and choose from the others and decide where you want to cut off that long arch. We can discuss some more before committing to major cuts, if you want.

imafan26
Mod

I prune my peppers but I usually wait till after I harvest the peppers and get them between flowering and fruit set. Don't forget to feed them after each cycle.

Bex717

Thank you both for your advice! That makes a lot of sense about the arched branch and the upward growth.

amrap1956

Earlier this summer I saw some video's on you.tube about trimming pepper plants. Now that winter is closing in and a couple of my pepper plants starting dying back, I decided to try it. They are Jalapeno. They are sideways for some reason, but are correct when you click on them.....??????

Poor sad guy.
IMG_0066.JPG
Trimmed some roots and 90% of the plant.
IMG_0069.JPG
Here's one I did about 2 weeks ago.
IMG_0071.JPG
Will try to remember to send future pics showing progress.

Ed

Return to “Pepper Forum”