FinnMcOwl

Got a few

Every year I try a few new peppers. This year it's Big Guys (some hybrid pepper I've never seen before this year?), Sriracha peppers and bulgarian carrot peppers.r

imafan26
Mod

There are a ton of peppers out there. I prefer the older jalapeno varieties that have more consistent heat. I do like Biker Billy which is a big hot jalapeno (25000-30000 SHU). For the most part I prefer serrano to jalapeno because they are a little hotter and more consistent in heat. I have not tried Sriracha but I did try Bulgarian carrot. It is a productive and attractive plant. The fruit is twice as hot as a jalapeno at 12,000 scovilles but still mild compared to a super chili (40K-50K SHU), which is my favorite pepper for cooking with, but not as insanely hot as the carolina reaper(2.2 million SHU)

dragonthumbs

Baker's creek has a small red pepper called "Grandpa's house" despite their size they can pack a little but of a punch! I also recommend if you really want the heat is a Fatalii pepper. This one makes you think you kissed a hot grittle with your lips, the burn lasts for a full hour no matter how much milk or dairy you consume!

imafan26
Mod

I had problems getting fatali to germinate. I think I have to try and soak them in potassium nitrate and see if they will do better.

Smaller peppers are generally much hotter. Jalapeno are very mild. The bird pepper and dwarf Thai hot are much hotter.

The hottest I can handle are the cayennes and some of the thai chilies. Czechoslovakian Black was medium hot for an ornamental pepper about the same as a hot jalapeno.

I have habanero, Carolina reaper and Trinidad scorpion but I just grow them because I like to grow them. I give them to some of my friends who are pepper heads. One of them does not like the habanero because of the gasoline aftertaste and prefers the cayennes because they have better flavor not just heat. Drying the peppers makes them hotter. I can use the ground pepper powder as long as I don't use too much. I used to have problems with the dried peppers going rancid but a friend told me to keep it in the freezer and that solved the problem, except I don't have room in the freezer either.

Return to “Pepper Forum”