I think it was just transplant shock -- lost some feeder roots and the upper growths were needing/losing more moisture than roots could take up. Now that they have been inside a while, they need to be re-acclimated to the sun and wind. So shade/sheltered spot for a couple of days -- and gradually accustom to wilder outdoor elements -- is the way to help them recover after potting up, and go ahead and ruthlessly trim off wilty upper foliage. You want more compact plants to bring inside before the frost anyway.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.