KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Sources for Pepper Plant Identification?

I bought padron pepper plants last year and one turned out to be something different. Surprisingly, it overwintered in my garden, so I decided to let him stay. He is a bit gnarled looking now, sorta like a bonsai, but is now starting to produce peppers. I have yet to figure out what type of pepper it is, and was wondering if anyone knew of online sources for pepper identification?

It is a prolific producer of dark glossy green (the color of poblanos), 2"-3" squat, sort of heart shaped peppers with thicker flesh than a poblano. It has some heat, somewhere between a jalapeno and a serrano. Any ideas for sites that might have good photos of pepper plants? I have looked at many of the online seed purveyors but have yet to find something similar...

Thanks.

applestar
Mod

I use chileplants.com for reference sometimes because they have so many varieties listed with photos and decent descriptions.

BUT it's possible what you have is an accidental cross of different varieties. Where did you buy the plants from?

KitchenGardener

Thank you! Off to chileplants.com to see!

I bought the plants from a reputable local nursery...

KitchenGardener

So nothing on that site that had me yelling "Eureka!" so I'll wait until I have a typical looking, full grown fruit and post it here for your thoughts...

Return to “Pepper Forum”