Sherifeldib
Newly Registered

Help .. leaf veins and tips turning blackish (pepper)

As you can see the leaf veins are turning blackish, I am keeping indoor with poor air circulation under a strong white LED (18 hours daily)
I use water soluble nutrients fortnightly.
Can this be that light is too close or maybe nut burn or maybe disease ?
Attachments
IMG_0925.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No does not look like burn from the light being too close. That tends to give you pale areas that are thinned and crispy, like the leaf tip in this photo:

Unfortunately, I think it is diseased.

applestar
Mod

Wait, what variety is it though? Some varieties will start to get dark antho colors on the stems and foliage as the seedlings mature... (some are dark as soon as they sprout).

How are you watering it?

Sherifeldib
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:Wait, what variety is it though? Some varieties will start to get dark antho colors on the stems and foliage as the seedlings mature... (some are dark as soon as they sprout).

How are you watering it?
It is a cayenne.
I water it bottled water using sprayer every two to three days when the soil gets dry.
Use water soluble nutrients fortnightly.

Sherifeldib
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:No does not look like burn from the light being too close. That tends to give you pale areas that are thinned and crispy, like the leaf tip in this photo:

Unfortunately, I think it is diseased.
Any idea if it can be saved ??
Should it be isolated away from other seedlings ?

applestar
Mod

When you water with a sprayer, very often you don't water enough. It needs to be thoroughly watered until excess is coming out of the bottom, then let the potting mix absorb back the excess -- any remaining after 20 minutes or so should be drained.

Peppers don't like to be overwatered or sit in excessively soggy mix, but they have fine roots and need good drink of water or they dry out.

I don't have enough recent experience with cayenne to say for sure if dark cast to the foliage could be normal or stress-related.

Sherifeldib
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:When you water with a sprayer, very often you don't water enough. It needs to be thoroughly watered until excess is coming out of the bottom, then let the potting mix absorb back the excess -- any remaining after 20 minutes or so should be drained.

Peppers don't like to be overwatered or sit in excessively soggy mix, but they have fine roots and need good drink of water or they dry out.

I don't have enough recent experience with cayenne to say for sure if dark cast to the foliage could be normal or stress-related.
Thanks alot for the advice .. I'll try that the next time I water

Return to “Pepper Forum”