Pappyjosh
Newly Registered

Ghost pepper

I have a ghost pepper plant that has around 12 peppers on the plant. They are green and soft. I proceeded to bite into one and it was not hot at all, no hear to it period. Was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. Do I need to wait till they turn red to try again and was wandering why they were soft. Any help would be apreciated.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I am surprised that there is no heat at all. Ghosts do mature late so maybe they will heat up...say in September.

imafan26
Mod

If the pepper is not hot, then it is probably because the seeds are not stable yet. Some may be hot and some not. It takes several generations of inbreeding for a cross to become stable. The peppers of an unstable cross will not get hotter if you wait for them to ripen. You just need to save only the seeds from the hottest peppers or from a line that is more stable.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Good info from imafan26. I grew ghost peppers a couple years ago and they were ungodly hot from the get-go whether green or ripened longer. Same with all the Habanero, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T's and other hot peppers I've grown. I've got some Carolina Reapers in the ground right now and for some reason they are not growing all that well, especially for being in the ground for a couple months now. This was my first attempt at them and if they fail, which seems likely, I'll try again next spring with new seeds.

One thing I did discover about the hot peppers. It seems the hotter the variety, the longer they take to produce, but when they start, they come on like gangbusters. Last summer I had 3 habanero plants and I was picking upwards of 50+ peppers a week off them. The Butch T was producing, but at a much slower rate.

Pappyjosh
Newly Registered

Thank you all for the helpful info. I also have Carolina reapers and they are as of last week starting to produce well. And the peppers are very hot lol. But so far ghost peppers are a bust

Return to “Pepper Forum”