applestar
Mod

Do hot pepper foliage and roots contain capsaicin?

I have a square wooden patio planter that is falling apart but I want to get one more season out if it. However, some chipmunks decided it was a great rest stop along their raiding party trail and have been digging in it. In fact they used to dig through this square one, a window box bridge, and a 2nd square one. But those other two gave up the ghost and fell apart this spring as soon as the thaw released them from their frozen forms.

I have since discovered that the chipmunk had gnawed an entrance at the bottom of on of the side panels, too, so I can assume they are tunneling through.

So, I'm thinking of planting one of the more hot peppers in the planter -- available are .... one of the bhuts or that Bhut Peach not/hab? ...or Madame Jeannette or Golden Habanero, not quite Scotch Bonnet..... :twisted:

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

No, in fact, even the flesh of hot peppers does not have capsaicin - only the veins.

applestar
Mod

Bummer! It would serve them right if they got "peppered" from digging among those roots!

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

horse radish?

imafan26
Mod

You could sprinkle some cayenne pepper around the plant. It does deter some pests however critter ridder might work better.

Return to “Pepper Forum”