Do hot pepper foliage and roots contain capsaicin?

A community to help you grow peppers! Information on Hot & Sweet peppers, soil preparation, starting peppers, identifying cultivation problems and great tips for a successful pepper harvest! Yum!
applestar
Mod

Do hot pepper foliage and roots contain capsaicin?

Post by applestar »

I have a square wooden patio planter that is falling apart but I want to get one more season out if it. However, some chipmunks decided it was a great rest stop along their raiding party trail and have been digging in it. In fact they used to dig through this square one, a window box bridge, and a 2nd square one. But those other two gave up the ghost and fell apart this spring as soon as the thaw released them from their frozen forms.

I have since discovered that the chipmunk had gnawed an entrance at the bottom of on of the side panels, too, so I can assume they are tunneling through.

So, I'm thinking of planting one of the more hot peppers in the planter -- available are .... one of the bhuts or that Bhut Peach not/hab? ...or Madame Jeannette or Golden Habanero, not quite Scotch Bonnet..... :twisted:
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

pepperhead212
Greener Thumb

Re: Do hot pepper foliage and roots contain capsaicin?

Post by pepperhead212 »

No, in fact, even the flesh of hot peppers does not have capsaicin - only the veins.
Dave

applestar
Mod

Post by applestar »

Bummer! It would serve them right if they got "peppered" from digging among those roots!
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Post by KitchenGardener »

horse radish?

imafan26
Mod

Post by imafan26 »

You could sprinkle some cayenne pepper around the plant. It does deter some pests however critter ridder might work better.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.