Mouse98

Heating mat for germination

Hello guys, I have never used a heating mat for germination before, but I decided to buy one for my habanero seeds and beans, anyway I got the growerology heating mat, a propagation tray, a seed cell tray, a humidity dome, and a insulated mat to put under the heating mat. I also bought some seed starting mix. I planted the bean and habanero seeds and plugged in the mat. The mat heated up and now the mat is hot, like really hot, but I put it in a hot room, the window is open so its getting sun and stuff like that. I know the mat isnt defective because a few days ago I plugged it in in a much cooler room and it didnt get nearly as hot. What can I do to prevent the seeds from cooking or the roots? Should I move it to a cooler area or where it is, is fine? Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The temperature of the room should not affect the temperature of the mat. They are thermostatically controlled. Yours is defective and will cook your plants.

applestar
Mod

You don't need a heating mat unless the ambient temp is cooler than you want/optimum germination temp. Is it winter where you are? (updating your profile would be a plus here)

Heating mats without thermostat just turns on and heats to its capacity... and optional plug-in thermostat slowly heats the mat over several hours until the probe registers x°F (I think -- at least mine) above the temp set on the thermostat, then turns off the power to the heat mat, cycling off and on.

Mouse98

Thank you for the replies! No it is not winter where I live, its 102 F where I live right now.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mouse98 wrote:Thank you for the replies! No it is not winter where I live, its 102 F where I live right now.
Then why ever would you want a heat mat for germination?! Ambient temperature is higher than you would ever want your mat set for! :?:

Mouse98

Thank you for the reply, yeah I agree with you, I guess the good thing is is next february or so if I want I can germinate seeds and I will have the proper equipment. When I feel the heating mat its hot but not like burning your hand hot and the top of the soil is warm. So O should inplug the heating mat and put it away and leave the seeds where they are? When I plug the heating mat in my bedroom the mat gets warm, not hot. But my room is not as hot as the spare room, so I don't think the heating mat is defective. Thanks!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I replant my garden about August 1st seeds will not germinate in the garden in 100 degree heat. I plant seeds in plant trays inside the house at 72 degrees. Plants are slower to germinate at 72 than 80 degrees. Don't go over 80.

Mouse98

Cool, is there anyway I can tell what the temp is in my soil without a thermometer, like with my finger? Like if its warm then its this or if its hot its this? Thanks!

applestar
Mod

Some of my instant read food thermometer have found 2nd life as seedstarting gadgets. About $5-$10.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I use a thermostat for my mats, from what I understand the matts should only get 10 degrees hotter than the ambient temperature befor kicking off.

its a bit pricey but an investment.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N ... UTF8&psc=1

imafan26
Mod

Most seeds will germinate between 60-80 degrees. If it is warmer outside then a heat mat is not needed. Some seeds like tomatoes and cool crops can germinate at 50 degrees. No matter where you are there is a growing season. Not much will grow in 100 degree weather unless you live in the tropics or the desert and grow climate adapted plants. If you live in a tropical zone, not a temperate zone, it will be more challenging to grow temperate plants. You will need to choose cultivars for heat and disease tolerance. You may also need to find ways like mulching, adding organic matter, and drip irrigation to slow water loss. Some crops that like full sun in other climates, may benefit from shading either from shade cloth (which increases heat and humidity), and choosing a planting site that only gets morning sun.

In warm areas, there is no need to start seeds indoors. You can start your seeds directly in the ground if the ground temperature is above 60 degrees or I start some seeds in pots on an outdoor bench in the sun. No hardening off required, lots of air and heat is supplied by the sun. Shade cloth on the seedling bench is optional.

The middle of summer is my tropical "winter garden time". I basically don't plant much above 90 degrees. I only harvest, solarize, or if I am composting, I will do trench composting at that time and cover the unused beds with tarps to keep the weeds down. It takes too much water and effort to grow annuals in the heat of summer. I just take care of the perennial crops that do fine with the heat like the hot peppers, eggplant, sweet potato, okra, long beans, banana, papaya, and the other tropical crops that are adapted to the climate. Some of the Florida tomatoes can grow in 100 degree heat, but they require a lot of care in summer to keep producing. I can keep tomatoes going during summer with water and pest management, but most of them will stop producing fruit and flowers until the weather is milder. Plants know when it is time to grow. Seeds will not germinate unless conditions are good and plants will not flower and fruit unless the plant is mature and healthy enough to support fruit and flowers.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Peppers, especially the tropical ones, love heat, and some won't germinate at room temps, especially in basements. I try to get my sprouting tray at around 85°, or a little more. I keep mine on a griddle on my range, over 4 pilot lights, keeping it warmer than needed, but I put a layer or two of cardboard to get the temp just right - a method someone could use to adjust the temp on a heat mat, without buying a thermostat.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I never got a heat mat because I feel like it may malfunction, spark and set my house on fire while I'm not home or at night.

Return to “Pepper Forum”