Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Does anyone cut the tops off their pepper plants?

I have heard if you cut the top off your pepper plants they turn into a bush and make more peppers too but I have never tried it. I know this method works with other plants. I trim the top and end off all the limbs of my Basil plant it grows 2 new limbs where place it is cut.

jeff84

it does work, but increased yield is debatable.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

With peppers you are removing a good portion of the fruit producing area if you prune. The plants may get bushy but you most likely will have a decrease in production.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

PaulF wrote:With peppers you are removing a good portion of the fruit producing area if you prune. The plants may get bushy but you most likely will have a decrease in production.
That is what I figured, that is why I have never tried it. My bell pepper plants usually get 6 feet tall and make a few peppers before temperature gets 100 degrees and very little rain for 3 months. Oct the plants will each produce about 50 to 60 large peppers. 1 or 2 plants is all I want. This year I am going to experiment with shading the plants in hot weather.

imafan26
Mod

I only cut my peppers after the first flush of peppers, if the top is crooked or broken, or I have a lot of mite issues. I don't prune them if I don't have to.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think people usually prune and top pepper plants if they want to bring them in to over-winter.

Return to “Pepper Forum”