tripleup05
Newly Registered

Brand new to gardening

Hi folks

I'm brand new to gardening. Someone gave me about 30 peppers plants awhile back in little trays, and I figured why not try and plant them and see what happens. I've got everything from jalepenos and tobascos to ghosts and reapers. I planted them last Saturday, and so far everything is looking good. I do have a question, however.

Below is a picture of a cowhorn pepper. I know the picture isn't the best, but I bet the pepper is 4 inches and the plant is no more than 6 inches. My assumption is I need to pick this dude because it is really weighing the plant down. Is this correct?

Thanks!

imafan26
Mod

You can pick those peppers in the green stage but they will ripen red. The plant will get larger. Feed it, fertilizer. Peppers are moderate feeders especially when they are producing. It is really small, I think it was in the pot probably longer than it should have been. If you are not heavy into organics either fish emulsion or Miracle grow for acid loving plants every week or two will give it a quick boost until your granular fertilizer can kick in. Mulch around the pepper to help keep down weeds and preserve water.

applestar
Mod

Yep. I would pick it. Good enough size to use in something, too. The plant was probably stressed in small seed starting container and decided maybe it had better get on with making next generation seeds.

As soon as you pick off that fruit, the next flower may try to grow fruit. But it will probably also start growing more right away. With the fruit left on, you won't see much growth if any, and the little plant may expend too much energy.

tripleup05
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies guys. I think you are both spot on about them sitting in the trays too long. When my buddy gave them to me, he told me they need to get in the ground ASAP, but it took me another two weeks or so to get them planted.

I haven't responded until now, but I did read your responses shortly after posting and went ahead and picked the pepper as recommended. It wasn't ripe, but it was pretty darn tasty. This plant, along with a couple of other cowhorns, super chilis, and "long cayenne" (as the label reads) have begun to produce quite a few fruits. I keep picking them to hopefully encourage the plant to grow more robust. So far, none of the super-hots have produced any fruit, but they are looking good.

Thanks for the advice

Return to “Pepper Forum”