chilified
Newly Registered

Are my Carolina Reapers ready for topping?

The Reapers have been growing for 6-7 weeks after germination. The tallest one is about 6" tall. They all look healthy with big wide leaves. How big do they have to be before I can 'top' them?
Reapers.JPG
I also have some Chocolate Habernero plants (in the red cups). Same question for them :?:
Choc Hab.JPG
Do I need to start sharpening the shears :hehe:

Cheers,

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

They look very healthy. Why do you want to "top" them?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I have never topped my peppers. I would transplant those to larger pots, however, given the size of the larger ones.

applestar
Mod

When will you be planting them outside?

jeff84

unless you have a short growing season I wouldn't top them. with super hots I like to over winter them. they are more productive in their 2nd and 3rd year than they are the first.

chilified
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:They look very healthy. Why do you want to "top" them?
Watching too many videos on the internet I guess :oops:

The claim/s are to make a bushier plant rather than a tall one.

Cheers,

jeff84

if you are growing them outdoors there is no reason to keep them short and bushy. now if you are going to be growing them indoors vertical space might be limited. if you do over winter them, you cut them way back when you dig them up to bring in.

but yes if you just want to experiment you can top them anytime after they have about 3 sets of true leaves.

chilified
Newly Registered

pepperhead212 wrote:I have never topped my peppers. I would transplant those to larger pots, however, given the size of the larger ones.
They are growing in 16 ounce (480mL) cups. Thought I might leave them in those for a little bit longer. They appear to be doing good. Similar to a Kratky setup, but using soil etc in the top cup. The bottom cup has about 1" of nutrient that consists of rainwater (spiked with ground egg shells). I alternate that water with rainwater mixed with a splash of worm wee and a splash of Seasol.

They sure love a drink :lol:

Cheers,

chilified
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:When will you be planting them outside?
They have been growing in a small grow tent with a grow light since April (mid autumn here in Australia).

I hope to transplant them into 5 gallon (20 litre) grow bags in September (spring here). I hope they don't outgrow the grow tent :flower:

Hence the need to trim them and keep them compact for the next 3+ months.

Cheers,

chilified
Newly Registered

jeff84 wrote:unless you have a short growing season I wouldn't top them. with super hots I like to over winter them. they are more productive in their 2nd and 3rd year than they are the first.
I have not done much research about over wintering. We do not get snow here in Sydney, Australia. Although some winter nights are cold. I will have the plants outdoors from spring to the end of summer and beyond :arrow:

Cheers,

chilified
Newly Registered

jeff84 wrote:if you are growing them outdoors there is no reason to keep them short and bushy. now if you are going to be growing them indoors vertical space might be limited. if you do over winter them, you cut them way back when you dig them up to bring in.

but yes if you just want to experiment you can top them anytime after they have about 3 sets of true leaves.
I will be growing them indoors for the next 3+ months. Hope they survive :eek:

Cheers,

jeff84

I live at the 38 degrees north. and I planted seed indoors at the end ov November and planted outdoors mid april. I up potted from 16 oz cups to cut off 2 liter bottles when they were about the same size as yours are now. so long as you provide intense light they will stay fairly compact even without topping. I just used basic screw in 11 watt led lights with the plastic diffuser removed, about 6 inches above the tops of the plants.

chilified
Newly Registered

jeff84 wrote:I live at the 38 degrees north. and I planted seed indoors at the end ov November and planted outdoors mid april. I up potted from 16 oz cups to cut off 2 liter bottles when they were about the same size as yours are now. so long as you provide intense light they will stay fairly compact even without topping. I just used basic screw in 11 watt led lights with the plastic diffuser removed, about 6 inches above the tops of the plants.
Hi "jeff84",

Thanks for the info. I will try the 2 litre bottles.

Currently they are under a 300 watt LED light. Power draw is 88 watts. So, technically it's a 90 watt light. But doing a great job....so far :wink:

Cheers,

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's what happens when you don't specify your location. Most of what we, including me, have been saying to you was not relevant, because we didn't understand that you are in the southern hemisphere and in autumn preparing for winter.

If you had said that upfront you would have gotten different responses. Please change your profile so that your location shows under your screen name as mine does.

chilified
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:It's what happens when you don't specify your location. Most of what we, including me, have been saying to you was not relevant, because we didn't understand that you are in the southern hemisphere and in autumn preparing for winter.

If you had said that upfront you would have gotten different responses. Please change your profile so that your location shows under your screen name as mine does.
Oops....I forgot that step :oops:

Now rectified. Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers,

jeff84

if they are going to be indoors for 5 months, you definitely need to up pot. maybe twice. and unless they start getting too tall that light cant penetrate the canopy there is no need to top. but like I said before feel free to experiment. the goal is just keep them healthy.

imafan26
Mod

Peppers can be kept in containers for about 4 years, but the recommended container is 4-5 gallons for mature plants. I would actually up pot those peppers to 1 gallon pots now and after the first fruit up pot to 5 gallons. Even if you top them, you have to have space for the roots to grow.

Return to “Pepper Forum”