pointer80

pepper seedlings seemed stunted.

Hello all, I have some pepper seedlings that I have started under lights and they sprouted quick with the use of heat mats and grew about two inches tall or so but then just stalled out it seems. Also the first leaves are pointing straight up towards the lights. The lights are about two inches above the plants and are regular fluorescent bulbs. These plants are roughly five weeks old. I have used this same method in the past with great success. Thanks for any help in advance.

applestar
Mod

Are they still on heating mats? Maybe it's too cold? How long do you have the lights on?

Also, are you looking at them right after the lights have turned on? Are they like that later in the day or just before lights out?
--- ALL solanacea babies will try the touch the lights during the night --- fold their leaves upward in the dark so that if you have the lights too low, they will be touching when the lights turn on....a disaster with hot tubes like T5 and even T8's.

pointer80

I have these in the basement still on the heat mats with the lights on 16 hours a day using t-12 bulbs. As far as I can tell they are like that all the time. They don't seem like they want to get true leaves for some reason. Here are some pics
Attachments
IMG_2671.JPG
IMG_2669.JPG

applestar
Mod

OK -- in that case, T-12's won't burn even if they touch and 2 inches is too far away. You want T-12's to be about 1/2 inch above the leaves. They are likely stretching for the light.

They look a little bit pale to me, but that might just be the photo. Be careful not to overwater -- peppers are notorious. In this kind of set up, you need to let the surface dry before watering again because it's still moist-wet in the bottom of the cells. Also what kind of potting mix did you use?

pointer80

I believe it was shultz seed starter plus. I will lower the lights. I will also watch the watering. All my other plants are doing fine except for the peppers.

Return to “Pepper Forum”