MOFishin

Serrano problems

This is my first year starting from seed. It has been a great success so far. I have some peppers that are doing great. Jalapenos, Ozark Giants, Zavory habaneros, etc. The serranos have not done well though. Their germination rate is lower. And the ones that do sprout seem to wither out and now make it. It's possibly I'm over watering a little. But I don't know. The rest of my seedlings have done much better. So, are serrano peppers more challenging than some? Did I get some bad or old seeds?
Thanks in advance.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Provided that the growing conditions are the same for all the peppers, I think that everything is okay. Some varieties are just slower at growing than others. Watch out for curled leaves, changing colour, etc.

MOFishin

Yes, same growing conditions. I'll be starting a second round of them some time in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully it'll work out better.

imafan26
Mod

I found that the super hots like Ghost Peppers like it to be very warm to germinate well but serranos usually germinate well as long as the temperature is above 68 degrees.

MOFishin

imafan26 wrote:I found that the super hots like Ghost Peppers like it to be very warm to germinate well but serranos usually germinate well as long as the temperature is above 68 degrees.
Interesting. I might try some in a separate tray, as opposed to the same one with a heat mat under it that all my others were started on.

Return to “Pepper Forum”