Rooted

Pepper seedlings and sunlight

Ok, so I'm a newbie! We have planted green and orange peppers some in yogurt cups and some in small styrofoam cups...
my first question, when do I need to transfer to a bigger pot?
Other question, my tomatoes were getting leggy, so I've potted them in a bigger pot and put them under a light, but my peppers look fine. Do I need to put them under the light too? Or can I leave them in the sunlit window?
I just love this whole seedling thing... for real! It's a fun challenge!!
Attachments
image.jpg

Rooted

Here's the small pot.
Attachments
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

They can go a little while longer. If the weather is consistently in the 70's you can harden them off to the outside. Otherwise if you keep them by the window you will have to turn them to keep them from leaning to the ligh and getting spindly (etiolation). A flourescent light fixture directly overhead (8 inches above the top of the leaves) for 16 hours a day would be better. Once the plants have true leaves you can start fertilizing them weakly weekly (1/4 strength water soluble fertilizer). Transplant the seedling to larger pots before the roots become pot bound. Usually when you have 2 sets of true leaves is a good time.

Rooted

Awesome! Thanks for the advice!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

First of March I got some 5 oz Dixie cups and some potting mix. I punched a hole in the bottom of the cups, then filled them with potting mix. I wet the mix down then next day planted some pepper seeds. Peppers are slow to come. I am getting some plants up now. I plan to let them just stay in the cups until time to plant out in the garden. I put two seeds per cup. Some have two coming up. I will just let both grow and plant them out together.

Return to “Pepper Forum”