wisconsindead

Re: 2017 - what peppers are you growing?

You guys are growing some really hot peppers!

I'm growing...
  • El Jefe
    Glow
    Wisconsin lakes
    Sweet Chocolate
    Tiburon
    Purple Bell

rharrison863
Newly Registered

Hi my name is Richard. I am new to this forum so forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong spot or if I'm not using proper etiquette for the Forum. I grow pequin , serranos and tabasco's. I have never grown a super hot so I decided to try growing a Carolina reaper. I have heard all the horror stories about people geting the wrong seeds from amazon. I know these pods are young but can any one confirm this is a reaper and not a scorpion or any thing else . Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20170411_101122.jpg
IMG_20170411_101307.jpg
IMG_20170411_101140.jpg

ZorbarPTLX

It seems like reaper. You can see the "sting" forming at the bottom of the pepper.

rharrison863
Newly Registered

:D Awesome Thank you I have a hard time telling the differance between the reaper and the butch t. Now I hope they don't deviate like they say in all the rumors I have read.

imafan26
Mod

The problem with instability has to do with how many generations have passed. It takes 8-10 generations to breed stable seed for most cultivars. If you are lucky it will be hot, if not, don't save those seeds.

Most of the new hybrids may have issues with instability that should work itself out over time. The older hybrids will breed truer.
I had mostly bad luck with Jalapeno M which had variable heat on the same plant, so now I grow other varieties that are older and much more reliable.
I did end up with a reaper that had zero heat and a scotch bonnet that was not as hot as it should be. Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw. None of these non-hot seeds were from saved pods, they were all purchased seed. The only good thing about that is that if the seeds were not from a box store but from a catalog, they usually will refund or replace the seeds.

rharrison863
Newly Registered

imafan26 thank you for the reply that was very informative. I hope these turn out good but if they don't next year I will order from a catalog instead of Amazon. I didn't know it took 8-10 Generations to stabilize a crossbreed. I have never crossed bread a pepper before but I would like to. I think that's something I might need to research a little more.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I have a hybrid variety - Thai Nippon Taka - that I have grown since the 80s, but it was taken off the market about 10 years ago. I used the last seeds, but saved some that last year, and started growing from those. Each year the plants would be different, but still good, and I'd save the seeds from the plant that looked closest to the original, and it was still not quite stable after 6 times. This year, I found seeds called Nippon Taka on a site - not sure if they are the same, as the heat listed is well under the original, but I'm growing both this year. If only I knew the 2 parent plants of the original, I could make my own!

rharrison863
Newly Registered

That's good to know. deviations are normal. I have seen a lot of videos on cross breading and I can't wait to give it a try. And I hope you have good luck with the Thai Nippon Takas

imafan26
Mod

Yesterday I planted
Hawaiian Chili
Super Chili
Anaheim
cubanelle
Ghost Pepper
Habanero
Scotch bonnet
Caribbean Red Habanero
Shishito
Banana pepper
Cascabella
Its a little late so I hope they sprout.

kayjay
Green Thumb

I've only got orange mini bell, early Calwonder and early Jalapeno from seed, but we'll see what seedlings I impulsively buy when they're out in the stores. ;) (Last frost still a month away)

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Here is my list of peppers for the season. On 4-19 I planted the habaneros and reaper in Earthboxes and under WOWs - 46º is the lowest low in the long forecast, so these should be safe.

:evil: = did not get a sprout
*= early planting

New:

Aleppo*
Buena Mulata (Purple Pepper)
Carolina Reaper*
Godfather sweet
Habanada*
Thai Chik Fee Na (new source) :evil:
Thai Dragon (new source) :evil:
Thai Nippon Taka (new source) :evil:

Old:

Big Jim
Fresno
Hanoi Market
Jalafuego
Habanero - chocolate*
Habanero - Red Savina* :evil:
Habanero - gold bullet*
Habanero - white bullet *
Superchili
Superthai
Thai Nippon Taka
Thai Vesuvius

All of the chinense peppers I started on 2-18, and two Aleppos I started on 3-5, and one Ichiban Eggplant on 3-5 - the last 3 to fill up pots should have been other peppers. The Aleppos I got in a trade, and wanted to get an idea of what to expect, when I would normally plant them, and they did great! I didn't put any out, however, as they are probably going to be a target of the pepper maggot fly, being mild, so I'll have to wait until I get the cover set up, for the rest of the mild peppers. And hopefully May will be much warmer than last May, so I can do it earlier!

Here are some photos showing how slowly those peppers grow, at first, then they take off! And the size of that Eggplant amazes me, after just 6 weeks! How do people plant these 8 weeks in advance, or even longer, as often recommended?

3-19 a month after planting:

3-23 Just 4 days later!

3-30 Just a week later!

4-3 4 days later:

4-9 6 days later. You can see how the eggplant and the Aleppos, on the left side, have caught up with and surpassed most of the others planted two weeks earlier:

4-14 5 days later, after repotting on 4-12, and putting them under a new light source:

And here they are just before planting, in Earthboxes, and under WOW's, on 4-19, Aleppos on left:

Here's the Reaper in the Earthbox, to give an idea of how large it had gotten:

And here's that Reaper next to the Ichiban EP, to show how huge that thing got in just over 6 weeks. It is too large to put under a WOW, so I'll have to keep it indoors, until early May.

And here are the Chocolate Habs:

Gardener123
Green Thumb

I'm truly surprised by how many varieties of my seeds did not germinate. This year, of all years. I usually start them all in my basement and then bring them up to my dining room when they get 3" tall. Well this year, they were all started in the dining room as work was being done in my basement, and the windows were open a lot, leaving it too cold to germinate.

So, this year I tried in my dining room.... plenty warm, and kept moist. I only had 25% seed germination overall. My tomatoes did fine, but peppers were brutal, and those that have bloomed took way longer than usual. I have some peppers that are just now sprouting after 12 ( or more ) weeks since seeding.

I ordered some plants from a guy in California. Should be here this week, I hope.

imafan26
Mod

My germination was poor too. I got one habanero, a couple of anaheims, and cubanelles and I am still hoping on the rest. I did plant them at the wrong time of the month (moon planting; I should have planted them the week before.) It has also been raining a few days in a row and that can cause issues with dampening off especially since I used MG potting soil. I just planted more seeds in sunshine # 4 which is closer to peatlite, so I am crossing my fingers that I get better germination. I am in a good window for cucurbits but I don't know about peppers. I get my best gerimination in peppers when I plant in the second and third week of the month. This month has five weeks and that is throwing me off a bit. I hope it is a better time for cuttings.

The rain brings out the snails and I caugt a big one on the side of my ginger pot. I had to use the hoe-matic to break the shell.

ZorbarPTLX

Here are mine after 41 days. Brazilian starfish is getting huge. Carolina Reapers and Trinidad Scorpion are growing nicely!
peppers.jpg

applestar
Mod

Did I mention Brazilian Starfish grows differently from other peppers? Did you know?

The plant should be treated like cherry tomato vines and the branches should be bunched and tied to a tall stake. Mine was a 7 ft pounded down to 6 ft. last year. And this winter, I potted it up in a 12" tall pot, cut it down to 3 ft so and overwintered it on a windowbench (18" H). It is now scraping the ceiling, waiting for me to take it outside for the season. :oops:

You are better off moving that one out so the light can be lowered for the rest of the peppers.

Fyi--

Subject: Applestar's 2016 Garden
applestar wrote:Image
- Do you recognize a pepper plant next to the green fence post in the foreground? That's the Brazilian Starfish pepper at the end of the '16 Cherry Lane cherry tomato row. They are still all green fruits and eye-ing the weather forecasts for pending frost, but you GOTTA grow this crazy pepper alongside your regular indeterminate cherry tomatoes. The growth-habit of this tall 'vine-like' plant fits right in, and you can't beat the fun shape of the fruits.

imafan26
Mod

That is good to know. Someone gave me a seedpod of starfish, but I haven't planted it yet.
t

Gardener123
Green Thumb

So, I will NEVER try to grow my own super hots ( from seed ) ever again. The guy I bought from in California shipped me ( 16 ) 3" super hots with 8 different varieties. They arrived in perfect condition, all for $30. My only gripe was that 4 of the varieties are "chocolate" varieties..... but that is kind of my fault.... I just told him to "surprise me", and if possible, include some chocolate peppers.

The most awesome looking one is called Big Mama Mustard.... huge and scary looking. Kind of greenish yellow.

rharrison863
Newly Registered

My Pequin Tabasco Scotch bonnet and carolina reapers are all producing. I am defiantly going to order more of a verity next year

ZorbarPTLX

An update since my last post on March 22nd. After two months I've moved 9 plants to soil and they are growing well as you can see in the photos. Still have 6 plants in hidro, but I'll have to move them soon as they are reaching the light.
Brazilian Starfish is growing a lot... Carolina Reapers and Trinidad Scorpion growing at a slow pace, but with good green color.
P.S. - As you can see in the photo, I still maintain them indoor. Can I start moving them to the balcony outside?
20170522_074019.jpg
20170522_073944.jpg

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I grow sweet bell peppers only. They grow much better in acid soil with lots of sand and peat moss. My Son grows, Habanero, Scorpion, Ghost and Jalapeno.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

So, I put my peppers out 3 days ago... 2 days ago it rained like crazy..... today I was afraid to go look, thinking my peppers would be damaged. Nope..... a few of them seem to even have doubled in size. Nice 70 degree temps, mostly cloudy... so at least they didn't get ruined by overwhelming heat - which we had last week..... they would have just crumpled up.

This isn't me, but this is the pepper I am most wanting to see fruit:

MA Wartyx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4faUOlqsE4

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Most of my peppers went out into the garden, two days ago.

Yesterday, there were 30mph winds! The plants had been hardened off for cool conditions and direct sun, had plenty of water but no protection from the wind. I'm afraid to go out to see how they did ...

I can replace 100% of them at the moment but hope it doesn't come to that.

Steve, and Mother Nature

applestar
Mod

I'm afraid to go out to see how they did ...
^^^ right there. Know the feeling. :|

In my case, earlier today, forecast was for "light rain" but it was raining a lot harder than THAT! Checked the weather app and yellow all around with orange and red sitting right over us :eek: I was afraid to even look out the window.

Tmaryso43
Newly Registered

sweetiepie wrote:I am so glad to see that I am not the only person who plans on a bunch of peppers this year. I had so many peppers last year that I pickled them and within one month my friends and neighbors had bought them all up. So of course that just encourages me to plant more. :-()

I have started Chocolate Reapers, Yellow Reapers, Carolina Reapers, Ghost, Chiltepin, and Scorpion peppers.

I plan on planting Ancho, Jalapeno, hot chilli, cayenne, North King Bell, Hungarian Cheese, Mini Belle Blend, Cherry Pick, Chablis, Time Bomb, Blight Buster, Quadrallo, Sensation, and Sweet Gourmet.
I have a Blight Buster and now can't find any information on it on the internet. It's like it disappeared. Can you tell me where you purchased your seed or plant and do you have an idea what the plant looks like. I have one growing but it looks like a weed. Thinking the actual plant died and it is a weed growing there but don't want to pull it out until I am sure. Can you help me?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

Something funny happened with me, involving Blight Buster - I got a free seed packet from Seeds N' Such, and thought it was a tomato variety, since I had never had blight on peppers, and the seeds were smaller, like tomatoes, so I never really looked closely at the envelope, or the catalog description. I just noticed that something in a tray of tomato seedlings looked like a pepper seedling! After looking closer, I realized what I had done.

It is a bell pepper, so I planted it under cover, with all the others that are prone to pepper maggots. Too early to tell you much about it.

imafan26
Mod

I have cayennes, Hawaiian chilis, Snapper, and Red Belgian just starting to fruit now. Red belgian surprised me. It was one of the first to fruit and it put out a pale yelow wedge shaped fruit. It stuck up more than anything else. I expected it to hang down more like a bell pepper. It hasn't turned red yet. So far only one fruit on each plant, but the snapper only has one too. The hot ones always produce more peppers than the large sweet ones.

applestar
Mod

JCL
Newly Registered

This is my first year of doing peppers (and everything else). I am planting Jalapeno's, Thai Chili, Poblano and yellow & red bell peppers. So far so good. Most of them I started from seed and I am super happy to see them looking so good!!

applestar
Mod

Overwintered peppers have ripe fruits already.

:() Pasilla Bajio and Shishito -- saving seeds from these since Winter Indoor fruitset means much less chance of accidental cross pollination.

jeff84

tinidad scorpion, butch t Trinidad scorpion (not sure what the difference is, so far I don't see any), naga inferno, Carolina reaper, bhut jolokia (ghost pepper), some hybrid jalapeno don't remember the name, and a variety of sweet bell peppers.

I wish I would have planted some Cheyenne and serrano. nest year I suppose.

I'm also growing san marzano sp? and roma tomatoes. there will be lots of salsa, catsup, hot sauce, tomato juice/whole, powdered peppers. and I'm sure some other flaming hot concoctions. thinking of pre seasoning and canning ground beef for chili

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Let's see...padrons, pasilla, serrano, sweet bell pepper, ghost pepper, and an unknown prolific and slightly spicy green heart shaped pepper which overwintered in the garden (!) and which came up in a packet of padron seeds. Think that's it!

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Just saw my first pods.... my yellow monster plant has about 8 of them.....

applestar
Mod

I didn't get around to sending her those fruits... but maybe I was premature in denouncing this plant? Or maybe it's another evidence of Internet snooping by my plants....

...what do you think? Does it get an "A" for effort to be true? (Sorry they are a bit blurry)

IF this is true to type, maybe it means first year plants are sometimes not fully matured enough to produce the fruits in the correct fully mature form -- another reason to overwinter them?

applestar wrote:Not Peach Bhut Jolokia

Well, it seems my Peach Bhut is not fruiting true to type. I thought the fruits look like a small 1 inch habanero type -- like the way Peru White Hab and White Bullet look. At first I thought/hoped it was because of the mite infestation and threw out the first pod that looked like it had fully ripened.... :?

So I searched for "Peach Bhut x habanero"and came across a very interesting similarity with these, especially the smallest smoother blunt/snub nosed pods... mine might not be as wrinkled. My Winter Indoor Garden Not Peach Bhut is on the Cool Gang floor, which means it is in the low 60's except when the space heater is being used in the room by someone.

I think mine still looks kind of peach colored. I wonder if the fruits will also change color or grow more elongated or wrinkled in the summer?
https://thehotpepper.com/topic/54076-the ... ?p=1149316

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:09 AM
TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose - Peach Gen 1

This was initialy a plant that was an uknown quanitity, it was grown from a batch of Peach Bhut seed

https://thehotpepper.com/topic/54076-the ... try1173421

TKP BHUT JOLOKIA SNUB NOSE - Officially not calling this a Peach anymore.. I'm going with Orange..

Here's some more of the TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose (BJSN) - 2 of the pods got to the standard size and the others where obviously under as we head into winter.. The plant is still maintaining that size so I am confident its a true genetic trait ..

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Sweet bell peppers are all I grow. Wife dices them for the freezer. Several bags will be enough for the winter.

applestar
Mod

What about now? Maybe it IS Peach Bhut after all that fuss :roll:

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Sunday I harvested 43 Carolina Reapers from one plant, and tested one for the first, and probably last, time. I chewed a half of one up, but couldn't keep it in my mouth for longer than 18 sec. Other superhots (Bhut Jolokia, Jwala, Mogul Scorpion) I could make it over 30 sec. with, but not even close with this one, so it was definitely hotter!

This is definitely a determinate pepper, as there was not a single flower on it, or any smaller peppers - just the ripe ones.
ImageDSCF0285 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageDSCF0292 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The gold bullets, OTOH, are definitely what I call an indeterminate pepper! This is just one plant, loaded with ripe peppers, but when you look closely, there are even more green ones, of all sizes, with open flowers, and more flower buds just waiting to open! Here's the one plant, from the best angle I could get many of the ripe ones in the photo, with the reapers on the left, and habanadas on the right:
ImageDSCF0283 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And here's a photo of one section after the harvest, showing all those green peppers and flowers I was referring to. Hard to see many of them, but you get the idea:
ImageDSCF0286 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And here are all of the peppers I picked from the one plant:
ImageDSCF0296 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And the chocolate habaneros are also somewhat indeterminate, though most are full sized and ripening. I think with these, many of the flower buds are waiting for this harvest to open in sync. The plant in the same Earthbox as this largest one, is smaller than the one that was taken down in that spring storm! This huge plant I am going to bag one of the branches of unopened flowers, and save some seeds!
Here's a photo of the plant:
ImageDSCF0289 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's what I could get in one photo on the largest plant, as far as the peppers on it:
ImageDSCF0287 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are the peppers from just that one plant:
ImageDSCF0290 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And here are all of them, in an overflowing 4 qt bowl, after adding 41 from the "recovered plant", and only 13 from the small plant:
ImageDSCF0291 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A few Thai peppers, too, but this is low in the capsaicin, compared to the others:
ImageDSCF0293 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

It's really too bad that the Habanada did not pan out, as those plants are loaded! The flavor was just not like a habanero, but more like some Aji I grew years ago that I did not like the flavor of - not even pepper like! Here's another photo showing all those peppers on the palnt next to the gold bullet:
ImageDSCF0282 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

Gorgeous! They look great! And I'm sure you will be making some wonderful, yummy food with them. :D

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Nice Pepperhead. Do you sell these...or sell products made with these? I cook with peppers nearly every day and I couldn't use all those peppers in 3 life times....

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

JayPoc wrote:Nice Pepperhead. Do you sell these...or sell products made with these? I cook with peppers nearly every day and I couldn't use all those peppers in 3 life times....
This! I love your photos - the plants are so big, so healthy, and so laden down with fruit! I thought you must be located in a long seasoned location upon seeing the immense size of your plants, but no, NJ - well done!

I'm curious too as to what you do with all of those peppers?

applestar
Mod

This NOT Jalmundo is a happy mistake I received in trade. It turns dark like this, not a Jalmundo characteristic, but is a nice sized jalapeño type pepper. I had two of these and the Jaloro -- pale white jalapeño-type. I didn't take a picture, but I dashed out and picked another Jaloro, and made baked poppers, using kielbasa, polish bacon, and raw milk cheddar. Nice appetizers for DH and me.

DH was suspicious of the pale pepper's and took more Not Jalmundo halves -- which changes to dark olive green when cooked -- than Jaloro. Too bad because that one turned out to be spicier AND HE DOESN'T LIKE IT AS SPICY AS I do. LOL

Return to “Pepper Forum”