pomerinke
Cool Member

Ozark Giant Pepper

Hey all,

Has anyone ever grown an Ozark Giant Pepper? I found them on rareseeds and I've been looking for a bell pepper. I'm probably going to grow them because I'm in a hot/humid climate. A few of the reviews also said they had almost no trouble with diseases or pests. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The link is below.

https://www.rareseeds.com/ozark-giant/

MOFishin

I'll be interested to hear what people have to say, as this will be my first year growing them too. I went ahead and got some seedling going early. So far so good. I live just north or the Ozarks, so it seemed like an appropriate choice for me :D Our summers here in Missouri are surprisingly hot and humid.

pomerinke
Cool Member

Oh I can certainly vouch for the hot and humid summers. I'm a St Louisan myself.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

pomerinke wrote:Hey all,

Has anyone ever grown an Ozark Giant Pepper? I found them on rareseeds and I've been looking for a bell pepper. I'm probably going to grow them because I'm in a hot/humid climate. A few of the reviews also said they had almost no trouble with diseases or pests. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The link is below.

https://www.rareseeds.com/ozark-giant/

I checked out that website you supplied and ordered some Ozark Giant and Carolina Reaper seeds to get started as soon as they arrive. I have some Habanero and Trinidad Scorpion Butch T's already in starter pots, but here in New Orleans, we have a very long growing season for the summer things since it usually doesn't get cooled off until sometime in October.

MOFishin

pomerinke wrote:Oh I can certainly vouch for the hot and humid summers. I'm a St Louisan myself.
Oh, cool! I live in central MO not far from Columbia, but have been to St. Louis many times, of course.
Some people are surprised how humid Missouri is, and our weather in general. Clearly you've experienced it though :)

Boboe

(Yes, I understand this thread is 10.5 months old)

How did the Ozark Giants do? Any troubles? Did they do as advertised?

I ask because I've got some started indoors for this year.

pomerinke
Cool Member

Hey Boboe,

I didn't start the Ozark Giants. (I bought them though... haha)

I've got a little more space this year after moving to a new apartment, so I'm working on figuring out what I'm going to grow.

I'm curious how they'll do in Florida, since I live in a place I figure is probably just about the same weather-wise.

MOFishin

Boboe wrote:(Yes, I understand this thread is 10.5 months old)

How did the Ozark Giants do? Any troubles? Did they do as advertised?

I ask because I've got some started indoors for this year.
And now I've come along to chime in a few months later :lol:
I did grow mine last year, and they did well. Just as good as any other bell pepper I've grown. The did end up shorter and bushier than my other bells, but produced just as well, if not better. The only problem with how short they were is that I had some hanging down onto the ground. So I had to be a little watchful that they didn't bruise and rot from laying on the ground.

Boboe

Thanks for the info Mo. I'm seeing some of the same with mine. They're short and the peppers are getting large and heavy for the plants. I can see them dragging the ground in the future. Maybe I'll stake the plants to help them.

Boboe

So far I haven't had to stake them. The literature said that they would turn red, but mine are turning more of a brown when ripe. They hide really well in the shadows with that color. You have to really look for them.
Attachments
IMG_20180522_111725484_HDR.jpg

MOFishin

Wow! Thanks for sharing. Mine never got that color last year. It's possibly I just harvested them before they turned dark. I've got some more in this year. Got started a little late. But I'll see what happen :)

applestar
Mod

Interesting! Peppers that color are usually called “chocolate” — they turn red and sweeter later I think, but are generally said to be at best flavor when halfway red.

I have Sweet Chocoloco (sort of a brown jalapeño with a sweet front end flavor and a kick at the end), Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate (yeah, really hot), and a sweet Bell that was supposed to be Chocolate Cake but didn’t grow well last year. I overwintered all three from last year’s growout. If Chocolate Cake manages to recover from the winter blahs (bells are not as resilient) it should produce fruits that look just like those — hefty and brown... and supposedly very sweet.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have been growing peppers for 41 years and don't usually have very good luck with peppers. This year I said I was not planting anymore peppers but I planted 6 different kinds of peppers hoping to find 1 that grows best for me. So far no bell peppers and plants are 1 ft tall to 3 ft tall. About 10 years ago I tilled a 3 cu ft bag of peat moss into the soil with some nitrogen fertilizer where I planted bell peppers, Sept plants were 6ft tall and Oct 7ft tall. 4 plants made 2 bushel baskets of bell peppers and I have no clue what the name of those bell peppers were. I have to buy what every plants are available at the garden stores. This year I did nothing special to the soil I think that was a mistake. I think soil needs to be very soft for root to grow plus nitrogen fertilizer that makes larger plants & larger peppers. If we get 12 peppers for the year that is plenty for us wife freezes them to cook with all winter.

Return to “Pepper Forum”