Outspoken89
Newly Registered

My pepper plants don't have a good mommy

I am a beginner pepper planter. By beginner I mean I have no clue what I'm doing. I live in NJ I've planted 7 plants (naga, red moruga,7 pot, trinidad scorpion, ghost peppers, and some mystery pots) in 5gallon containers. I'm certain I did something wrong possibly used the wrong soil mix (miracle grow potting and garden soil) I used fertilizer (can't remember off hand I'll put in the comments later). I've been keeping them in my indoor greenhouse until I found the time to transplant the ones that where ready. Yesterday were there first time outside, when I checked on them this morning one of my naga plants were totally wilted and sad. Another pepper plant with similar soil seemed like it was in the beginning phase of getting sad. Please help me.

Outspoken89
Newly Registered

Here is what it looks like, and the leaves on my other plants.
Attachments
IMG_20160627_195848.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Did you harden them off . Looks like a little transplant shock. Gradually move them into a new location. Give them an hour in the early morning and put them back. Gradually extend the time outside first to a sheltered spot and gradually into more light.

Outspoken89
Newly Registered

No I didn't. I have a small greenhouse when I originally got them they where in solo cups. So there is no turning back unfortunately.

imafan26
Mod

You can try move them to a sheltered spot under a tree on on the north side of the house or even create shade with weedblock. I have pots all over the place so I put the shade loving plants between the larger ones. That doesn't always work out though because it makes it easy for the snails to eat them. I move them out gradually and it is better to do it on a really cloudy day.

applestar
Mod

Yes, don't give up on them yet. The one that wilted may lose all those leaves but still grow back, though considerably set back. Keep them out of direct sun at first as imafan said. They are not used to the sun or wind yet. If those are buckets, be sure you made drainage holes.

Miracle Gro POTTING soil is correct but NOT GARDEN SOIL. Garden Soil is meant to be used for in-ground not containers, and particularly not peppers which needs good draining soil/potting mix.

Return to “Pepper Forum”