Blake_HTX
Newly Registered

Stressed Peppers?

Hello all!
I have 2 jalapeno, 2 sweet banana and 2 California wonders that I started in root cubes then recently planted in small containers about 4 days ago. Soil mix is Sta-Green potting mix (N-P-K = 8-6-4) with added sphagnum peat moss and perlite. The seedlings started indoors in a window and stayed there til they were 3" tall. Then I moved them to an apartment patio that doesn't get direct sunlight (moved in with my GF).. Now I have an indoor grow tent with a 4' 4 bulb T5 light for them and they've been in there for 3 days now. Even without circulation while sealed up it only reached 92*F or so degrees and that was only for a couple hours. But my plants are still stressed and the curling looks worse and more plants are starting to curl, as well as the tomato clone I have in there. For the last 48 hours its been 74-78*F with plenty of circulation. I'm thinking its just the shock of being brought back to the indoors as I live in Texas and the climate change from indoors to out is drastic. But I just wanted to get other opinions from you guys. Thanks!
Attachments
Snapchat-3196554023748964422.jpg
Snapchat-4417495298395583025.jpg
Snapchat-492864961953571457.jpg
Snapchat-4312640714029708844.jpg
Snapchat-33724881493510478.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Could just be mild transplant shock. That can give them physiologic leaf roll. I'd give them a little bit of babying. Some extra watering and I wouldn't feed them until they start putting out top growth, and showing signs of recovery. I'd reduce the fan and give them a little bit of a more temperate temp. 70's range.

What is the ultimate plan for these?

Blake_HTX
Newly Registered

I thought about it being transplant shock but they were transplanted for 2-3 days before showing any leaf curling. Already having issues with soil gnats so more water is out of the question for now. Fan hasn't been on them directly. it stays lower than 76*F, Curling hasn't gone away but it seems they are still getting taller. The tomato clone isn't looking too good but I wasn't planning on keeping that in here. I plan to keep 1 of the sweet bananas the rest I'll give away when they get bigger. Already have some growing outdoors at my mothers. I plan to do some herbs and some pepper bonsais and whatever else I can fit in this tent lol

Blake_HTX
Newly Registered

Will be doing a soil-less mixture for everything from now on and hydroponics has been an interest of mine

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

That stuff is out of my knowledge! Haha!

Good luck with the hydro!

ladyhawke6281

Hello,

I commend you for growing your peppers any way you can. I can tell you that peppers are very finicky plants. We have tomatoes and peppers in an outdoor hydroponics system. They like warm temps and heat lots of airflow. Don't know much about a T5 light, but LED's give them broad spectrum light which is what they need so they don't focus on stretching. Good luck. I just think they need some more natural light.

applestar
Mod

Hm -- natural light -- was the kind of T5 light mentioned? I use daylight deluxe or 6500K

imafan26
Mod

I would use a different potting mix. You probably have fungus gnats because stay green has soil poymers in it. Soil polymers only work where you have absolute control of watering and where it hardly ever rains. It is good for killing plants. It is up there with MG moisture control.

Repot the plants if their roots are still in good condition, in 2 parts peat moss, 1 part perlite, and a hand full or two of compost ( I prefer vermicompost) + 2 tablespoons dolomite lime per gallon of peat moss. I would add 2 tablespoons of apex or osmocote fertilizer for each 5 gallons of potting mix as a starter fertilizer.

Blake_HTX
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:I would use a different potting mix. You probably have fungus gnats because stay green has soil poymers in it. Soil polymers only work where you have absolute control of watering and where it hardly ever rains. It is good for killing plants. It is up there with MG moisture control.

Repot the plants if their roots are still in good condition, in 2 parts peat moss, 1 part perlite, and a hand full or two of compost ( I prefer vermicompost) + 2 tablespoons dolomite lime per gallon of peat moss. I would add 2 tablespoons of apex or osmocote fertilizer for each 5 gallons of potting mix as a starter fertilizer.
Yeah I added peat moss and perlite to the soil but ill be going a different route here pretty soon.

Blake_HTX
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:Hm -- natural light -- was the kind of T5 light mentioned? I use daylight deluxe or 6500K
Not sure what bulbs it has in it, I let my brother use it the past few months and it still has the same bulbs. Its more of a blue spectrum though.

Blake_HTX
Newly Registered

ladyhawke6281 wrote:Hello,

I commend you for growing your peppers any way you can. I can tell you that peppers are very finicky plants. We have tomatoes and peppers in an outdoor hydroponics system. They like warm temps and heat lots of airflow. Don't know much about a T5 light, but LED's give them broad spectrum light which is what they need so they don't focus on stretching. Good luck. I just think they need some more natural light.
Unfortunately I moved to an apartment where the balcony doesnt get any sun. I have some plants at my mothers growing outdoors but I wanted a project here at home. Money is tight so I cant really add much more than what I have already. They have turned around though, the curling is gone and theyve been growing nicely.

Blake_HTX
Newly Registered

[quote="ladyhawke6281"]

We have tomatoes and peppers in an outdoor hydroponics system.

What type of hydroponics set up do you have going outdoors?

Return to “Pepper Forum”