Abmis
Newly Registered

Any ideas on what is happening.

Browned-edge-of-seeds-in-ripened-pepper.jpg
This is from a freshly picked fruit. The exterior and interior of the fruit appeared fine.

I also noticed some fruit had a discolored placenta, other than that the fruit was ripe and firm appearing fresh in every other way.

These are from 1 year old Scotch Bonnet Pepper plants that are solid producers. I have white and orange, this seems to be an issue only in orange fruit.

Approx 2% of my recent harvest had some sort of issue, with only one or two of those having the seed issue posted above.

I'm thinking we had some cool weather, low 60's for about a week just after the fruit started popping and perhaps that led to the discolored placenta, the seeds however in those fruits were fine in appearance, though I didn't keep any. The fruit may have hung on the plant 10 days to two weeks longer than normal of which I attribute to the cool weather slowing the growth.

Why would seeds appear like this in fresh fruit? Any ideas?
Thanks for looking ...

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I'm assuming the fruit and plants look normal?

I've noticed in riper fruits, even in the 90-100 degree temp range, that the higher more mature seeds brown like that, and it's normal.

I've heard of cooler temps ( like temps caused by refrigerator storage) can cause brown seeds in green (immature) fruits. I usually get a really good pepper crop come in right before the first frost of the winter season, and I usually process those peppers. Most of them are ripe, but they also grew in pretty cold, but not freezing, weather. Much more likely to have brown seeds. Nearly every pepper, regardless of scoville units! Hope that helps some.

imafan26
Mod

Usually, the only internal problem I get around June are pepper weevils. They lay their eggs in the flowers and the larvae feed inside the peppers causing the center to rot and turn black. On the outside the peppers look like they are maturing faster. Near the cap will be a small hole where the weevil exited the pepper. Most of the time by the time the problem is noticed the hole is already in the cap the culprit has escaped. Thankfully, it is only a seasonal problem and I just have to plant the pepper somewhere else next year.

Return to “Pepper Forum”