cass2828

Pepper growing what about you..

I have just sown Hungarian hotwax,Hungarian sweet pepper,green,red,yellow,white capsicum..

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

That looks like a good list. I'm going to plant some tri-colored mini peppers from some seeds that I saved. I love jalapenos, but I don't have enough time to grow everything that I like, so no jalapenos this year.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Wow; that's a lot of peppers! So far I have only 5 sweet red bell peppers that have germinated. :)

cass2828

Hi, I have just sown them today...(honestly I know nothing about them) hoping for the best... I don't know how I am going to use them.. :lol: any tips and suggestions please... has anyone grown Hungarian hot wax and sweet peppers please tell me how they taste....

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Dehydrating is a good way to preserve sweet peppers. Canning-pickling is also good. Both take time but worth it.

cass2828

It sound good I will give it a try,Thnx

imafan26
Mod

So far I have grown this year chinese giant bell, yellow bell (both are just starting to fruit now), Caribbean red habanero, poblano, cayenne, thai sun, Fiery flaming pepper (AAS winner fresno type I am trying for the first time), Bhut jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion, Carolina Reaper (starting to fruit), cubanelle, serrano, Hawaiian chili, Super chili, Tabasco failed but I will try again. Key Largo (cubanelle type), anaheim, Wailua pepper (jalapeno), Korean (fruiting now), Thai pepper ( from last year has peppers now), Thai sun.

I like growing peppers, they are fun. I give a lot of them away and I grow them for the garden I volunteer at. I am not a hothead. I like a little spice but I am not crazy.

PinkPetalPolygon

That makes me a crazy hothead then :D (lol)

Well, when I met my DH 3 years ago, I didn't use any kind of hot sauce on anything (except tapatio on tacos). I noticed that my DH used (lots of of different) hot sauces on everything though! So here and there I tried it. I started putting those chilli flakes on my pizza...

Then I started loading the pepper flakes on my pizza so they rivaled the cheese :mrgreen:

Then somewhere I noticed that I use more hot sauce than my DH!
Everything savory tastes wrong without capsicum!? I cook a lot and if it's not sweet on purpose for the sake that I wanted it to be sweet for a change away from spicy, it is always spicy ^_^ & it should be!

Last year I grew 5 pepper plants too late in the season without proper fertilization or mulch (we can get wicked summers in California where I am) - my cayenne pepper actually did awesome and the "garden salsa" pepper did ok - but the rest didn't have fun at all being planted too late! They were my first pepper plants and I had no idea how they grew or what to expect.

but this year I am much more confidently in the know! I am fertilized, I am mulched, and I was as early as I could be without being counterproductive due to cold weather! (I am also pretty much organic / striving towards organic / no poisons & damages, just happy flowers & happy bees!)

I put everything in arguably 17 days too early (lol) but I watched everything closely and I did not see what I believed to be them being upset by the cold, the lowest we got was 38, knock on wood, thank heavens!

It was funny when my DH was being all cute social at the plant store a few weeks ago & asked a lady if she started her garden yet and she exclaimed "oh no! It's much too early!" (In a way SERIOUS voice!)

He grinned and didn't reply further because we had had stuff in for a month already, hehe. I will be able to tell when it is all said and done what turned out to be better (whether or not I WAS too early), I am incredibly enthused as can you tell!

ANYWAY!

This year I have gone mad. Or genius!? (Hah) I intend on drowing in capsaicin, or at least not having to buy any peppers from stores because I don't have them on (a gloved) hand!

I have:

Hungarian Wax
Serrano
Fresno
Tabasco
Hot Banana
Habanero
6 "Dragon Cayenne" hybrid
6 DeArbol
6 Gypsy (sweet) peppers

The habanero is actually the oldest, I recently learned it is not the speediest to grow either. I got it when it was tiny. My slugs were as in love with it as I was, but I got them under control, knock on wood, and it is making its first layer of leaves on the stem and starting to bud into flowers ^_^

My hungarian wax pepper is the second oldest and it is huge and I am letting it flower. (I am one of those people who are of the practice of taking the first couple of rounds of flowers so the plants focus on making roots/stem/height instead of fruit? I have literally seen it work, hah. And when I ask my DH what he thinks he agrees so that is just our practice.)

This season, I remember I forgot to take the flowers from one of my storebought tomato plants after I transplanted it. The flowers were so tiny: I admittedly never CHECKED if there were flowers, hah. I didn't think there were! So I set it out with the other ones and watched it for days, and after 3 or 4 days I noticed it was literally stunted compared to the other plants... then the thought popped into my head:

That I hadn't deflowered it (hah)/ Checked it for flowers

I walked out to the plant, taa daa, several clusters of flowers were definitely going for it. :shock:

I plucked them with a clean plucker, and the next day the plant was taller, now it is trekking towards the sky nicely with everyone else. So I'm happy with that.

I also have 3 hungarian wax pepper babies from seed that are unrelated to the one I bought at the store. They are in the pepper patch with all the storebought plants pretending they are big boys! They have been in direct sunlight all their lives, my MIL sprouted them. (They were doing so well in the sun I couldn't bear ever bringing them in and unhardening them) I am rooting for them, and did all I could! I kept forgetting about them in those quick drying peat pots so I figured they'd be best in the ground! We'll see <3!

cass2828

cool!!! pink petal polygon!! you are one awesome hothead

Mr green
Green Thumb

PinkPetalPolygon wrote:I have:

Hungarian Wax
Serrano
Fresno
Tabasco
Hot Banana
Habanero
6 "Dragon Cayenne" hybrid
6 DeArbol
6 Gypsy (sweet) peppers
A good list I really like De Arbol, Serrano and Fresno. Arbol is awesome for drying and powders/flakes as well as using fresh. Serrano I prefer roasted in olive oil. Fresno was tasting like a hot real sweet bell pepper to me.

I need to get a greenhouse!

Return to “Pepper Forum”