Mr green
Green Thumb

Sweet Peppers!

Hot peppers are fun to grow, but after a while you have so many dried and what not you don't need many more. Also I have healed my stomache recently and cant eat to spicy, I want tips of some peppers with nice taste and little to no heat.

Shot! :-()

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Mr green wrote:Hot peppers are fun to grow, but after a while you have so many dried and what not you don't need many more. Also I have healed my stomache recently and cant eat to spicy, I want tips of some peppers with nice taste and little to no heat.

Shot! :-()
Don't know what you can grow in your northern climate - in a greenhouse? I'm on a temperate coast and grow outdoors. The hot summer weather can be unreliable, so long-maturity peppers will seldom ripen all the way. But I can usually get some California Wonder to turn red (no heat), and my standby pepper is Anaheim which has a a good peppery flavour with a little heat when green, and a bit more but not too much when it's fully red.

Mr green
Green Thumb

You are so right about that! And I don't have a greenhouse, but I have some micro climates that works only if we don't get a bad summer (like last year) and that is a buzzkill so much infact this season I didnt plant any also partly because I was not home at the right time, usually I start them indoors before christmas... But I'm not giving up for good!
I might buy some plants at the local nursery but I'm not likely to find anything I really want there.

So I thought this season I will collect some info about varieties to grow that aint to hot or not at all.
Thanks for your input, the California Wonder is a popular one even over here, I have yet to tried it, its on the list now! How does the Anaheim taste red? Ive heard alot about it as well, its most commonly used green right? Usually I like the ripe ones more even of the standard ones we eat green, like Jalapeno gets so much more/better flavor, but its not always the case.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

For me, Anaheim seems more productive than Calif. Wonder, and we do use it green, where it has very little heat but a nice peppery tang. It only gets red if we have a long hot summer; then it can develop heat enough for me but nowhere near enough for true pepper aficionados.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Ace has given me buckets of thick walled sweet ripe red bell peppers, here in NY. Highly recommended.

Biscayne also produced well but took longer for ripe reds and the peppers were very thin walled.

I am trying Numex Suave Orange this year, which is a very mild habanero.

It would not be too late to start sweets here!

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Peter: "buckets" sounds like an acceptable yield of sweet peppers! I see Ace is a hybrid and doesn't seem to be available locally at present. I've been a bit obsessed on growing mostly open-pollinated plants. Not entirely logical I know but there it is. Still if I come across seed for Ace peppers I'll give them a try. By the way in looking around I kept coming across "New Ace" which brags about staying green longer than most sweet peppers. What's the point of that ??? :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have found Italian sweet peppers more productive for me to grow than bells. Marconi does well as does Giant Marconi.

I have read that the sweet peppers with Caribbean names are supposed to be Italian sweets. So, Cubanelle is in this group as is Biscayne, that Peter mentioned. Both did well for me and Cubanelle was the most productive pepper I have ever had in my garden. However, it was quite thin-walled.

Anaheim is a good choice, especially for an open pollinated type. Usually, only small, hot peppers ripen in my garden. Anaheim was used green and for the first few seasons I grew it, I didn't know it was considered a hot pepper.

If I couldn't eat the hot types, I'd still want to have Jalapenos. They have a distinct flavor I enjoy. I grew Fooled You years ago but had trouble mixing it with the hot Jalapenos at harvest. Doing a better job keeping them separate would have been wise.

Steve

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Perhaps buckets is a slight exaggeration.. but I would say I got at least 10 medium-large red ripe fruit per plant from Ace (which are small plants.)

You could ask Johnny's what they would recommend for a Northern OP variety. They are the Northern experts. It may be that as DigitS' has posted you are limited to non bell types that produce well, that are lighter/thinner walled or not fully ripened.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Yes buckets full sounds very good indeed! And the thinwalled may be good for making powder and being easy to dry whole. So some different peppers with different properties is all good! :)

I have been on the same track as you Vanisle_BC, mostly because I wanted to be able to take my own seeds and not have to buy it again, but we can miss out on good crops this way I'm sure.

Hehe Caribbean names is good enough for me! Will look into these Italian varieties!
Fooled you is Jalapeno like with no heat?

Thanks everyone for taking your time giving me some tips on this! :)

imafan26
Mod

I like Carmen it is an AAS winner a Corno d'toro pepper that is good for frying and stuffing.
Biscayne is a cubanelle
Japanese shishito and fushimi are sweet peppers that is used for frying but also put in stews and soups.
Tam Jalapeno's like false alarm and fooled you only look hot, they are not.
Anaheims have some heat but very mild, 500 shu

I enjoy growing hot peppers too. They last a lot longer than bell peppers. I give most of mine away as I do not like to eat very spicy things and I don't eat them all of the time. I used to give peppers to someone at work and he gave me pepper sauce in return. It took me close to a year to finish it. I do like pepper flakes but I only use a very little.

Return to “Pepper Forum”