olivertree
Newly Registered

Bell Pepper Leaves (New growth) Curling

Hello, everyone! :D

I started my bell peppers in February. Last weekend, I noticed that the new leaves of my bell peppers were curling -- this also happened to my Thai chili peppers and discarded them as I was afraid that it was some kind of a virus. Now, it's happening again to my bell pepper seedlings. They are in 8 oz cups right now. I have been giving them fish amino acid fertilizer and calcium phosphate every two weeks and I'm growing them in peat-based seed starting medium. I'm from the Philippines and we're experiencing a sweltering hot weather (95F) right now. I moved my seedlings from full sun to partial shade because of the heat.

Is this some kind of virus or disease? Should I discard them and start over again? :(

Thank you! Have a great day!
Attachments
12596560_1182619821749368_1854981551_o.jpg
12810279_1182619818416035_1872059286_o.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Those are insects. Aphids, Thrips, mites and whiteflies are the usual suspects.
Whiteflies you will be able to see under the leaves there will be white circles of eggs and the adults will be flitting about the plant when it is disturbed. Thrips and mites are hard to see without magnification, either with a loupe or a microscope. It is easier to learn to identify their damage. Aphids can be seen under the leaf but they are usually green.
This might be helpful in figuring out which one it is.
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/default ... eppers.pdf

I would take off the damage leaves and discard them. They don't get better. Make sure the plant is not stressed and you up pot on time. You should up pot now and feed it. These pests have multiple hosts so check other plants and weeds in the area. Everything needs to be treated.
Peppers don't like soap, it will actually make the leaves curl worse unless they are rinsed off in a few minutes. Sulfur will control mites, but cannot be used within a month of oil so it is important to identify the pest first. Pyrethrins will work but it is very harmful to beneficial insects and you have to make sure you get the right one. Read the label make sure the plant and pest is listed and always follow label instructions and precautions.

If you wipe the bottom of the leaves every day or use a jet of water under the leaves, it can be enough to control them. I usually use alcohol first, but since I have a good garden patrol, I usually don't have to do much. I tolerate a little bit of damage and treat only when necessar and I usually use water first and pick off bad leaves or cull sick plants. Planting a diverse garden and including habitat and nectar plants keeps the beneficial insects around and keeping plants in optimum health usually makes them poor targets.

olivertree
Newly Registered

I transplanted them yesterday and gave them a shot of fish fertilizer. I am also trying to wipe the undersides of the leaves every morning and I found some whiteflies. Thank you!

Return to “Pepper Forum”