applestar
Mod

Re: 2016 Pepper Varieties -- whatcha growin?

This is not going to be in chronological harvested order but I might as well post updates to this thread -- here are some with green but not ripe yet fruits and were brought inside ahead of killing frost/freeze:

Subject: 2016-17 Winter Indoor Garden
applestar wrote:Some of the peppers --

LEFT 4 -- Madame Jeannette hab, Peppadew, Sweet Chocoloco turning red, Aji Pineapple
RIGHT - Brazillian Starfish

...less impressive from this season's growth, but full of potential and well worth saving --
LEFT -- Golden Habanero and BST Ladybug
RIGHT -- smaller Takanotsume (I have a bigger plant that is fully loaded with red fruits) and Czechoslovakian Black

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Out of the 11 pepper varieties I grew, I would not have a single one to recommend based on this year's performance. It might have been the worst year for me growing peppers in recent history. Fortunately, most of the varieties were not new to me and I have those past experiences for evaluation. The new ones ~ shrug ~ ?

It has finally gotten into my head how early season high and low temperatures effect the development of the fruit of tomato plants. The whiplash June temperatures wrecked some havoc in the tomato patch but, those tomatoes had an okay year.

It wasn't so much abnormal fruit development in the peppers. Thank Heavens I didn't put in a whole lot of plants! Badly stunted by the early season, they had trouble with sunscald and low production. Some peppers off most every plant and that is about all I can say ... altho "some" was like 1 or 2 useful peppers in many cases.

Steve :cry:

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I only had one new variety that was a keeper, and it wasn't really new - just a new source, thus a better growing Chocolate habanero, from Redwood City. Was a good pepper year for the old timers, just none of tbe other new ones.

imafan26
Mod

I prefer the older varieties now because I think the new ones are being released too early. I am having a lot more problems with instability and variable heat in the peppers.

I had a hard time finding Scotch bonnets someone asked for. I finally found some, but I am not sure they were pure because they were unstable too.

It is getting to that time of year when I start to make my lists for next year, but it will be a while before I actually place any orders since it takes me a long time to pare them down. I have done a little better this year and ordered fewer seeds but I still have way too many left and I have some saved seeds of beans and sun hemp that are still in the pods.

Return to “Pepper Forum”