mauser

Germination rates with peppers.

Are there any tricks to getting higher germination rates with peppers? While some of mine did quite well others only 48% sprouted. And may that did sprout were helmet heads.

I'm using 6x9 trays with MG potting mix. Room temp is 78 F. Lights are T12 daylight, 4" from the top of trays. Seeds were Cayane from Burpee 2016.
No clear top, and bottom watered. Seeds were down direct from the package.

Allyn
Green Thumb

Heat mats? They don't need light to germinate; they need warmth. It's been my experience that keeping the bottom warm helps get those little babies going. I know hot peppers like habanero and jolokia want their soil as warm as 85-90 degrees F before raising their little heads.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Heat is the key. My trays are kept at between 80 and 90 degrees F. Until germination I wrap the tray in plastic wrap without lights. As soon as there is germination the wrap comes off and I do as you indicated for lights...16 hours on and eight hours dark. (is that 24hours?). The heat stays on and watered when the soil begins to dry. Peppers usually take longer to germinate than many other plants

Hate to say it but Burpee seeds may also contribute to the low germination. Stopped buying from them years ago because of this and other problems.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

You may also try the wet paper towel method. It is suppose to speed up the germination time for hot peppers. I plan on trying it this year. You can check out Pepper Joe's on youtube, they explain it.

Return to “Pepper Forum”