applestar
Mod

2015-2016 Winter Indoor Peppers

Place holder for posting about this winter's indoor peppers. Most of my general winter indoor gardening postings will be in this other thread.

Subject: 2015-2016 Winter Indoor Tomatoes, etc. Garden
applestar wrote:Although this is in the Tomato Progress forum, I'll probably post about all my Winter Indoor Garden here. Tomatoes and peppers will predominate.

The plants are being gathered back inside as the temperatures are getting colder, and some brand new seedlings are up, too. :-()
... But I might post specific pepper details here. Everyone, please feel free to post about your pepper overwintering adventures or questions (unless you want to create your own thread, and that's fine too) :()

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Ok...I'll go. :-()

After picking all of the peppers I could last week ahead of the freeze, I decided to bring this one inside. It's a Thai Vesuvius. I'm not sure it's going to get enough light. It'll get regular ambient light in the room from natural sunlight as well as our overhead lighting when we're home in the evening (CFL type bulbs at the moment). It will probably get short periods of direct sunlight through a couple of windows overhead, but no more than an hour or so...if that. I like the idea of keeping it alive through the winter, but not enough to put in supplemental lighting or a whole lot of effort moving it in and out of the sun. Maybe it'll do OK for a while?

What about forcing it into dormancy with a plan to "bring it back" in the spring? How would I do that? I have a couple of out-buildings, but it can get very cold here. It's not uncommon to have several days well below zero degrees F each winter.

applestar
Mod

Wow it looks BEAUTIFUL! If you were to repot in a ...well... Decorative kind of container and tray (on a sturdier stand, BTW) it could totally be the star of that corner. :D

What is the temperature like there? If it's in the low 60's that will help to prepare the plant to go dormant.

The way I go about this is to start withholding water. I see yours still has some green fruits, so it's going to want to suck up a lot of water, but don't water until top inch or so feels dry, and don't water too thoroughly. Smaller amounts more often to generally keep some moisture in the soil but never really saturated. If you see it start dropping blossoms without setting (buzz with electric toothbrush if you WANT it to set fruits) and stop blooming, you are on the right track.

Let the red pods mature fully before harvesting until they start to lose vigor and sort of shrivel. Every time this happens, it will signal to the plant that maybe it should be done. I don't have any *that* fully loaded, but I check every day or every other day. (All the red and colored fruits adds
to the decorative effect, too :wink: )

Once an entire branch is harvested, you could prune if you want, though if you are going to let it go dormant, it will actually be better to let the plant keep the branch for now.

When all the fruits have been harvested (sometimes even with runty ones still attached) I put the plants in lower temperature and lower light. This can be done at first by putting them on the floor, or closer to the window glass, near front or back door, etc. Do some detective work around the house with a thermometer. I also have a two tube T-12 shoplight in the (no window unheated) garage that I keep on 24/7 and out some of the bigger pepper plants under it. The garage will get colder and colder -- currently 50's and 60's but was down to 40's when we had the freeze. They will mature what they can but will mostly go dormant and fruits will be picked green.

I have kept peppers in the garage with insulating layer underneath and surrounded with flattened cardboard box and with the light fixture on and draped under double layer of floating covers until temps falls down to upper 20's. Some will still make it but most will die at mid-20's.

In the house, plants kept near the windows or just below windowsills still get blasted by transferred-through-glass chill. Some will lose all their leaves. Once fully dormant, they are pruned down to Y-sticks (or remove all twiggy growth and just keep major scaffolding branches. Trim back lanky growth so new growth can be supported later.

*** the more dormant they are the less water they need/get ***

Ones that are kept slightly warmer -- low 60's with dips down to 50's in the depth of the winter (for example on the floor level in farthest corner from the central room with the thermostat "Cool Gang") may keep their leaves but will stop growing completely. Don't worry if the eaves yellow and fall though, but keep a sharp eye out for aphids.

None of these need as much light as plants that are fruiting or growing.

They start leafing out sometime in early February or so, I think in response to lengthening days and maybe just a little warmer temps since our coldest days when the central heat has trouble keeping up are usually end of December to end of January.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I read over it and will digest it more fully this weekend (busy time right now, to say the least...work/kids/etc.). I'm sure I'll have more questions...

As far as the fancy designer pot goes, we're pretty utilitarian... :lol: :lol: :lol:

applestar
Mod

You are welcome :D Good luck and keep us posted. :wink:

Here's one of the varieties that I particularly like for its decorative value: BOLIVIAN RAINBOW

The plant itself has dark green antho foliage/purple stems, and the pods start out purple, then turn ivory, yellow, orange, and finally red.

The bottom point is sweet when red as it can get and tastes like ordinary sweet pepper -- slightly grassy -- but it's hot near the seeds. I think they "taste like hot peppers" and probably no hotter than jalapeños, but am not experienced enough in the fine distinction between the pepper flavors to say good or mediocre. I've been using it for fermented pepper sauces and in any thing I want a little heat. (I have read reviews that say flavor is "meh" by pepper experts though :oops: )
image.jpg
...I have to note that mine has pointier pods than I see in some pictures on-line. It's possible mine had crossed with something in previous generations and is NOT true to type.

applestar
Mod

Did I mention how much I think it's worth the effort to pot up and bring in the peppers? :-()
(Houseplants are boring, this is FUN! Image)

image.jpg
Bolivian Rainbow
image.jpg
image.jpg (57.55 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
Winter Wonderland peppers in "full bloom" :D
image.jpg
Dunkel Violetter original germ plasm from German Seedbank and second gen from a friend
image.jpg
A very productive next gen from my SuperVar Fish Loaded with blossoms NOW (would have been frost killed if left outside)

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

hmm...ok. I've read and reread your post. If I'm reading right, I think your recommendation for me right now would be to pretty much keep on keeping on. After more than a week inside, the plant seems no worse for the wear. It even has put out a few new blooms, although I'm not overly interested in it developing more fruit. I'm going to harvest all of the mature peppers that are drying out on the plant soon. I'm not sure I have a "cool spot" option within the house (anywhere in the house will be within a few degrees of the average), and outside in the sheds will be far too cold to keep it out there.

So I guess I'll just play it by ear. If it drops its leaves I'll trim it down and stash it somewhere until the spring. If it comes back, awesome...if not, no biggie. If it keeps growing or at least stays alive, well that's cool too.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I tried bringing one inside. It didn't make it, too much root damage. Not sure if there is some kind of trick to digging them up.

applestar
Mod

This is one of the pepper plants I brought in. I thought it was a Donkey Ears, but I've been watching the fruits turn into this rich chocolate color. I have a vague recollection of the Donkey Ears (which was overwintered last year) dying off after producing a couple of flushes of big fruits soon after it was put outside for the season -- I think in fact it was the first sweet pepper to start producing.

I guess I must have planted a seedling of one the three Chocolate colored varieties I grew this year, but it seems I neglected to label it or else I wrote on the container but used a marker that faded. It's in a smallish container -- 2 gallons -- so the fruit size may be being constrained, making ID a bit more difficult.... :|

Chocolate Cake, or Sweet Chocolate, or Numex Eclipse
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.22 KiB) Viewed 5265 times
-- does anyone know what stage you should eat these? Now while they are brown, or wait until they are... Red?

applestar
Mod

Peter1142 wrote:I tried bringing one inside. It didn't make it, too much root damage. Not sure if there is some kind of trick to digging them up.
I'm sorry I missed this when you posted it. :(

I don't think there is much to digging them up, but it might have been more to do with how you kept it afterwards -- but here's what I do:

I use a hand fork for smaller plants and garden fork for bigger plants and dig straight down all the way around the plant at drip line (directly below the outside diameter of the canopy/tip of branches). Then go around a second time, angling toward the plant from the bottom of the trench. This is usually enough to loosen the rootball. If small enough, I just burrow my fingers or the hand fork under the plant and lift up. For larger plants, I use two garden forks.

You will notice they generally come up with smaller rootball than you might expect for the size of the plant, having lost a lot of the thin fibrous roots in the ground. BUT THATS OK.

Smaller plants might be grouped in a tray or something and then potted up right away in new potting mix blended with the garden soil from the rootball and about equal amount of sand/gravel/perlite/shredded bark mulch. While doing this, I prune off branches that are twiggy and thin or extra long, unless there are fruits or blossoms already that I want the plant to keep and develop.

Typically, I just stuff the bigger plants in doubled or tripled large plastic grocery bags for later processing.

Most important to keep from overwatering. They can be in lower light if kept in cool temperature like 40's to 50's. Only water once a week or so, just to keep them from drying out. Keep barely damp but not soggy if they have fruits that you want to finish maturing.

I only bring the pruned plants that are fully potted up in proper soil mix indoors where they would be warm enough to grow, and place them where they would get plenty of light under the light fixtures or by the sunny southeast or southwest window.

Good drainage is imperative. Never allow container to sit in water. Remember that pepper roots are very finicky. Don't overwater and allow the soilmix to become dry on the surface in between, but water thoroughly if fruiting and blooming.

If leaves start to yellow, suspect soggy roots first, then aphids.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Here is mine in front along with banana, african daisy, rosemary, thyme, aloe and a few others. Most of these are aphid resistant....knock on wood...except for the pepper. I scalped the top and the roots. Then I dunked and rinsed the roots. Then I soaked it with neem every couple days outside and isolated. Then I brought it in and sprayed it again. Did I mention I hate aphids in the winter. I usually don't even attempt fighting them over winter and just grow non aphid attracting plants. Goodwill has this cool little pot for 4 bucks so I'm giving it a go. It needs some more decorative rocks. This area is inside the window from my seedling chamber and I don't want an infestation when starting them off.

IMO/research, your better off wacking them down and treating. Then you can let them go dormant or regrow slowly in low light. Whenever I bring them in while fruiting they just go downhill and bugs take over. You can still trim them back, treat and they will usually bounce back. I don't have a lot of experience at it but I had a lot of frustrations trying.

applestar
Mod

Looking great! Yes, I agree the peppers take to getting pruned down to sticks very well. Especially mature specimens that have good root systems to push new shoots.

I remember you already had full harvest out of all your peppers, so this is a good idea to let them rest a bit. I will be doing the same with my late-started just now fruiting ones as they finish up fruiting and are harvested, and colder temps and shorter days will overtake others and put them in semi dormant state as it gets closer to winter solstice.

Some of mine are still pretty active right now. Many are finishing up, but some of the plants are finally covered in blossoms and setting fruits.
image.jpg
If aphid infestation is a possibility, new pepper leaf buds and flower buds are particularly vulnerable, so I make sure I have full complement of lady patrols working when they start to re-grow -- usually around February in my indoor garden.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

You were so right about the aphids. What a pain in the rear. I've since put the plant back outside. It's still going along quite well. We're going to have temps in the 20s again this weekend. I'm going to put it in the sunny shed and forget about it. Maybe trim it back once it's lost its leaves. If it comes back in the spring, great. If no, no biggie....

applestar
Mod

Just keep it above mid-20's and it might make it, Jaypoc.

Here are the varieties that have decided it's NOW time to bloom :roll:

Top: {L} Peach Bhut or Naga Seasoning {R} Yatsufusa
image.jpg
Bottom: {L} Jalapeño {M} Takanotsume {R} Hanoi Market

I'm buzzing them but some of the blossoms are dropping without setting. It could be the sudden drop in temp we had last week, or the aphids causing this. I do see the lady patrol -- released in small batches three times at this point -- making their rounds now and then. And I've re-located these blooming plants to hopefully more favorable locations that are not beset by drafts, etc.

I took pics of some of the peppers that are almost fully mature.

{R} That long pepper is the long white Hungarian one that has finally started to change color -- I wanted to save seeds so I have been patiently waiting....
image.jpg
{M} Two photos of Fish peppers. The orangish ones are anomaly -- possibly sport -- that starting growing from the base of the least variegated Fish plant. The fruits are normally much deeper red as in the other photo of the fruits on this year's plants grown from seeds of supervariegated Fish, even when mid-way in changing color to fully red.

{BL} almost completely white Fish pepper fruit on the SuperVar. I have a yarn marker on it because I tried to cross-pollinate the blossom by emasculating/removing the anthers and "kissing" it with a blossom from the Peach Bhut/Naga Seasoning. I have no idea if it "took" and at least some of the seeds from this fruit will be a cross, but I'm going to save and Mark these seeds separately and try growing them next season. :-()

applestar
Mod

Turned on the lights for Winter Wonderland and immediately saw THREE ladybugs patrolling the pepper foliage. :-()

This is actually more or less daily sighting -- not always the same area -- and even if sometimes I don't see them at all sometimes, it's very reassuring. :()

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

How are those Maui Purples doing, apple? I transplanted mine the day I gave you those, and put it in the south window that my lime trees and curry tree are in, and it has actually grown about 4". However, the new leaves are all green, due to the lower amount of light, compared to 16 hrs/day under the lights! But I did see a purple flower on it...not sure if I should leave it, or pinch it off, to let it grow more, before flowering.

Since I have no other peppers indoors, if I get peppers from this plant I will definitely save the seeds! I don't want to have to go through that heat treatment to get those old seeds to germinate again! LOL

applestar
Mod

I have two in the Winter Paradise (indoor greenhouse) and two still in the garage V8 Nursery.

As might be expected the ones in the cool garage are slow growing but still not languishing, but I'm going to be moving all the non-dormant, young peppers into the house now that the real cold is finally here.

The ones inside have been leafing out with lime green leaves. Very pretty! But not growing very much in height. Maybe they are getting TOO much light since I have them under the double T-5 intended for seedlings.

I've been intending to put together a collage of my most ornamental-looking peppers -- so I will post their photos very soon. Thanks very much for these plants @pepperhead212 :D

applestar
Mod

Here are two of the four Maui Purple pepper plants :D
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.41 KiB) Viewed 5374 times

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Looking good! Mine actually has a blossom on it. Less purple, probably due to less light.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I just looked at mine (first time in about a week!), and there are 4 fully opened blossoms, and a bunch of others getting ready! I got out my vegi-bee, and pollinated them - knocked one off, but the others are OK, and I saw the puff of pollen come off of two of them. I'll take a photo soon...

applestar
Mod

Ooh! looking forward to seeing yours. :-()

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Here is the Maui Purple, showing many of the flowers, and you can see the green leaves than have formed since I put it in the window, after repotting it, in about a 5 qt pot. Under the lights for 16 hrs a day they were purple, but with much less light they are green, yet they still grow fast, and are blooming! Sometimes in spring, when starting them, the seedlings are a little light colored, but turn very dark purple shortly after putting them out in the sun.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I've kept Black Pearl peppers indoors overwinter before. This year I'm trying to keep a ghost pepper so I can take cuttings from it. The ones I kept before and this one were originally planted in containers so I wouldn't disturb the roots when I brought them in. I keep them in the basement under shop lights that are on timers, 12 hours on, 12 hours off. The ghost had lost most of it's leaves because I had left it out a bit too long (covered when frost threatened) but it is now regrowing some leaves.

applestar
Mod

My mystery Peach Bhut Jolokia OR Seasoning Naga plant is finally in production mode. :-()
It is only in a 1 gallon container but is loaded with pale green blossoms and starting to set fruits since I have been diligently buzzing with an e-toothbrush. :()

I really want to uppot to a three gallon container, and I can't really take a full view photo until I get it out from behind a few other plants, but I took some photos.
image.jpg
I guess if I taste one even while still green, it should be immediately apparent whether it's a superhot or a not-hot. 8)

...the brown fruits sharing the top-left photo is an another unlabeled mystery-ish variety. I'm going to investigate a little further but I think it's likely to be Sweet Ingrid. I thought it was one of the three different "chocolate" varieties and was waiting for them to turn red, but as you can see, they have started to shrivel without changing color. These are a little runty from growing in one of the kids' sand pail-turned-flower pot (I would guess it to be not more than 6 qts). I have another, labeled Sweet Ingrid plant in one of the sweet pepper SIP's in the garage with a full sized fruit that is doing exactly the same thing. :>

applestar
Mod

Here's another picture of the peppers that I think might be Sweet Ingrid:
image.jpg
Still not sure what this plant -labeled Bonda Ma Jacques- is. It's loaded with blossoms and green fruits right now.
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

The lost-label pepper -- it's definitely not Peach Bhut, so probably Seasoning Naga. :()

Is it red enough yet, or does it get redder and more ripe? This first to ripen fruit is runty compared to the others. :|
image.jpg
...a few others...
image.jpg
image.jpg (51.67 KiB) Viewed 5255 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

@pepperhead: I just read this again "Under the lights for 16 hrs a day they were purple, but with much less light [since I put it in the window], they are green, yet they still grow fast, and are blooming! "

They maybe getting fewer hours of light in the window. But depending on what direction the window faces, if it gets direct sun, they are NOT getting less light, they are getting lots more light intensity.

The reason why we put plants under lights for 16 hrs a day and keep the lights just inches above them, is that anything we can provide with artificial lights is so much less light intensity than sunlight. We don't realize it, because our eyes are so good at adapting. But stand outside your house on a sunny day and look in the windows, see how dark it is!

applestar
Mod

Here are fruits of NOT Bonda Ma Jacques. For some reason, they ripened more or less together and I plan to harvest them and taste them in the next few days:
image.jpg
As you might be able to see, the plant itself is tiny. Maybe it's a Donkey Ear crossed with something. Certainly it seems like it's derived from one of the smaller (no more than 12" tall) varieties.

These are representative cluster of fruits of the mystery Bhut. I had hoped they are Peach Bhut Jolokia or Seasoning Naga, but it's wrong color for Peach, and it is definitely hot -- more than mildly hot. So even though I thought I didn't sow any of the regular red Bhut Jolokia (aka Ghost Pepper), maybe I was mistaken:
image.jpg
Here's the first red ripe one I cut open. It's hard for me to take good close ups with the iPad, but maybe you can see the glistening oils on the central membrane... :eek:
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

NOT Bonda Ma Jacques. This is the smallest one that ripened first -- it's hiding behind a leaf in the photo above, but it's about 1/2 the size of the others. It had that pointy tip like all the others, but it broke off when I was washing it.
image.jpg
It's pretty thick-walled and thin skinned... Juicy and SWEET! :D I'm really surprised. Usually don't get this kind of fresh eating quality in the Winter Indoor peppers. Even the Jalapeno's are thinner walled and tough. So presumably in the summer with more favorable climate this will taste even....better?

After eating about three stick-cut pieces and sitting down to type this up, I'm feeling a tingly sensation on the front-mid top of my tongue and *maybe* a sense of warmth. :shock: not enough to say it's hot. Just a sensation. But it lingers for a good 5 or more minutes....

Very interesting pepper. I wonder if this is a true to type for a variety and I just mislabeled it?

mauser

So how many years can you get these peppers to live?

applestar
Mod

mauser wrote:So how many years can you get these peppers to live?
I had the same question when I started out. You may find one or both of these discussion links interesting :D

Subject: Why Bring Pepper Plants Indoors for Winter?
applestar wrote:Inserting the link to this discussion for sidebar reference here:
Subject: Perennial hot peppers - natural seasonal lifecycle?
applestar wrote:Where hot peppers grow as perennials, what kind of natural seasonal transition do they go through? Do they drop leaves in fall and stay dormant and bare through the winter? How cold would it get? Or does it never get cold enough for them to deteriorate and do they stay green and productive throughout the year?
...I think the oldest pepper plant I have -- a jalapeño -- is going on its 4th winter. I'm starting to lose track, so I've started marking their containers and tags/labels with the year they were started from seed. :()

applestar
Mod

Update photo collage of Winter Wonderland :D

- Bhut Jolokia (suspected to be crossed with something else according to someone who has grown them for a while -- she says these fruits are not wrinkled enough),
- Yatsufusa from last year's Pepper Seed giveaway, and
- Hanoi Market which was grown from seeds from some fruits shared by pepperhead212 (Thanks! :() )
- you can see some supervariegated Fish leaves and fruits mingled with HM
- Larger red fruits are from mislabeled plant and has not been ID'd but are tasty, thick walled and sweet.

The tomatoes are Whippersnapper x Faelan's First Snow F2.
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Not Bonda ma Jacques -- I have two fruits left on the plant. (One downside of Winter Peppers is it takes them a long time to ripen, advantage of Winter Peppers is that they last a long time on the plant and is better "stored" that way until ready to harvest)

Yesterday, when I was pruning down the overwintered peppers in the sweet pepper SIP's in the garage, I found these immature runty fruits on the right on the plant labeled Toli's Sweet . See the pointed blossom ends? Do you think that's what the mystery pepper might be? Is it likely for it to be only about 9 inches tall in an 8 inch diameter clay pot? I need to search for more info on Toli's Sweet.
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Last major harvest -- Bhut Jolokia cross, Jalapeños, Tollis Sweet Italian (?), and Yatsufusa
image.jpg

New growths on some of the peppers overwintered in the house -- Trinidad Perfum, Dunkel Violetter, Szentesi Feher, Bolivian Rainbow
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

I harvested all of the remaining fruits from the one jalapeño plant on the kitchen window bench so I could trim it down. I was a little late doing this and had to cut off a fair number of flower buds and already opened blossoms. I'm not worried since it will quickly grow again, and will be able to grow into better shape for having had all the inward or straight upward growing as well as spindly growths pruned off. I think this plant is three years old? It's in a three gallon square pot.
image.jpeg
Odd thing is most of them have this pointy bit on the blossom end, but it wasn't on the fruits harvested in the summer or earlier in the winter. I'm beginning wonder if this is a winter indoor garden thing. The point is delicate and rubs off easily just from handling. (there's a fruit lying on a broken off point -- 2nd one in the big cluster truss. Maybe these are pistils that normally get rubbed off fairly early in the fruits development, but due to indoor protected conditions, they have chance to stay on the fruits all the way to the end.

applestar
Mod

Here are two of the Maui Purple peppers that are coming back after being reduced to sticks by the TRM. So far so good :bouncey:
image.jpeg
The Hari eggplant seedlings -- both in this ice cream tub and another group in yogurt cups -- are yellowing for some reason. I can't tell if I might be overwatering, if I'm not keeping them warm enough, or if they need fertilizer -- I've heard eggplants are heavy feeders. I tried adding organic 7-4-2 to the yogurt cup group yesterday, but if anyone knows what this is, please let me know. I have had limited success growing eggplants from seeds so far and I don't know why they grow sometimes and why they don't other times.

The sorry looking seedlings in the shallow tray above are salvia seedlings that got lost in the shuffle and got dried out. :oops: I do have another, much better looking group of seedlings :roll:

applestar
Mod

These Maui Purple are definitely coming back. :-()
image.jpeg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I thought that Maui Purple of mine was gone for sure. The leaves turned about 3/4 brown, and many dropped, but a few weeks ago a bunch of new areas of new growth showed up! I figured that it had to be the increased light that triggered it.

applestar
Mod

Odd looking Hanoi Market (left) and Fish (right) :? -- I think mites are stunting the fruits
image.jpeg
-- I picked them today because I want to give them a final haircut and prepare them for going outside (uppot/freshen potting mix and fertilize). Hopefully, the Garden Patrol will give them a good once over :D

applestar
Mod

Here's an example of what paper plants do after being overwintered. As you can see, this is a tiny plant in a 4 inch pot, no bigger than what you might grow from seed in spring, but look at what it's doing :-()
image.jpeg
When I uppot this or plant in its permanent location for the season, it will take off and immediately start blooming and setting fruits on multiple branches. :D

Return to “Pepper Forum”