applestar
Mod

Saving the Sarah C pepper

Overnight temp went down to 28°F Sat night in my garden (forecasted low of 32°F) and most of the garden was done. I had brought inside practically everything, or so I thought, except for things growing in the protected beds near the house, and the two sweet pepper SIP's which I swathed in three layers of various floating covers, nylon shower curtain and a tarp because I was too exhausted from digging up the banana plants to attempt moving them into the garage.

So I tackled those yesterday -- with a heavy duty hand truck to tip and drain and haul, and with DD's help. I also tipped over but gave up on trying to overwinter the giant Pea eggplant and Hari eggplant (I would have dug them out and hacked them to a stump).... It unexpectedly started to sun-shower at that point.

Overnight forecast from Sunday night to Monday morning was 28°F and I was and am still expecting the low to be down near 24°F (currently 28°F at 4:30 AM). So This was IT. I had to bring in everything I intended to save, or give them up -- I tend to want to save as much as I can at this point, even though some of them might die off or have to be abandoned in the garage where it can get down to mid-20's in the depth of the winter later on.

I was digging up the Listada di Gandia eggplant and a little Doux Long d'Antibes pepper when I noticed larger "something" falling among the raindrops. I held my hand out and caught a slushy splat. -- it was turning to sleet :shock:

I turned to hurry and finish digging them up and actual snowflakes started falling on those leaves.... But these plants were stubbornly holding onto the ground with spread out roots, even after loosening with gardening fork.

In desperation, I had grabbed hold of the root ball and was pulling, muttering "C'mon! Come-ON!" then, "COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO LIVE!" ...and that's when the pepper plant let go and pulled out of the ground. Image

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I can relate to your tug of war. I recently had a tug of war battle with my lilac start. I left it in the temporary spot too long and so it had grown a good size root. After much digging and tugging it finally let go, but I did have to cut some of the roots to get it to let go. I hated doing that. I worked quickly at the transplant and so the lilac plant is doing well now in it's permanent location between my arborvitaes. It should look nice when it flowers in the spring. It's a little bit shady in the new spot but it has lots of buds. And so do the 2 siblings nearby. So the 3 lilac plants won't be lonely. I'm thinking the shade will inspire them to grow tall and lean east into the morning sun.

imafan26
Mod

I'm glad I don't have to do that. Even though it has been raining every day. It is not a hard rain and the ground is not so saturated that the plants are drowning. Unfortunately the weeds are thriving again and I can't work in mud. I did go out this morning to pick some super chili peppers for my nephew and looked at the seedlings that have sprouted among the weeds in the main garden. The snails must be hybernating. I expected more damage and more of a presence. I'll take what I can get.

It is a beautiful Christmas morning. It rained last night but it is nice and sunny now. There are rain clouds in the distance but hopefully I will get a few things done before they do their thing.

I just got back from delivering my final Christmas presents. My sister was still sleeping. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas with lots of great memories. Most of your day is done, but mine is just beginning.

Return to “Pepper Forum”