StevePots

Help to identify my peppers?

This is a mild pepper. Some peppers grow as long as my hand from tip of middle finger to heal of my hand. My wife bought me some peppers from a farmers market and she does not know what they were. I saved the seads and planted them but now I don't know what they are. lol
I even asked at the market but they said they get many different types of peppers from different suppliers and they can't say what peppers they had back then. Showing them the pepper they did not recognise it.
Here are some photos.

imafan26
Mod

How hot are they? There are a lot of different ones with that general shape both sweet and hot.

StevePots

Thanks for your response. These are mild. The bottom half has no seeds and tastes like a green pepper but sweeter with no heat. The heat is in the top where the seeds are very compacted. The shoulders are round and the cap around the stem is very short. The lower half collapses as the pepper grows and the peppers curl and twist as a result. I could live life happily making pepper and garlic pesto with my mystery peppers but It would be nice to know what type they really are.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Similiar to cowhorn or cayenne. Looks more like cowhorn to me, which is a hot pepper, but a mild one.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Looks like unripe cayenne peppers.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Your description of the seeds compacted in the top, and the bottom having no heat, sounds like an Indonesian pepper I got seeds for years ago from Southern Exposure - Lombak. They curl when they touch part of the plant, or the ground, but many are also straight. About 10k heat, at least in the hot top. Great flavor when ripe, and also good dried.
https://www.southernexposure.com/lombok- ... p-911.html

applestar
Mod

Ooh dual purpose peppers 8) -- I think I have to try growing this :-()

...is the skin thick or thin?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Skins are no thicker than normal, plus, with the things I use them for, it wouldn't really matter. They are either minced up, or pounced into a paste, or ground into a powder, after drying.

Return to “Pepper Forum”