Gardener123
Green Thumb

New career? Bhut Jolkia farming?

OK, just kidding, but I was at my local ( small ) grocery store today. They carry a lot of local produce, but not much in the way of hot peppers, other than jalapenos. They sometimes have habaneros for $6.99 a pound. But that is the extent of it, until today, when I saw they had Ghost Peppers! But they were in a plastic box, so I knew they would be expensive....

$4.99 for 3 or 4 peppers! I took them to the scale, and with the plastic box, they were just a smidge under 4 ounces.

I grow Bhut Jolokias. They usually put out a good amount of fruit.... I eat or give mine away.... but at $20 a pound, I might have to become a ghost pepper farmer. :lol:

On a side note, I was out near Lancaster, PA on Friday, and saw a huge amount of gorgeous habaneros at the Shady Maple grocery store.... for 39 CENTS a pound..... I bought 5 pounds for under 2 bucks.... and I pickled them.
Living the good life with my wife and 2 wonderful daughters!

imafan26
Mod

Re: New career? Bhut Jolkia farming?

Wow, they must have been a novelty item. Usually I only see Anaheims, pablano, serrano, and assorted bell peppers at the store. In Chinatown they do sell the hot thai and Hawaiian peppers fresh.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.