tanaaron

Why are some of my green bell pepper leaves limpy?

I am growing some California Wonder green bell peppers. Some of the leaves have become limpy and have almost a rubbery-like texture to them. Is this too much or too little water, or something else completely? They are still green.

Thanks!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Tanaaron,

Can you post pictures?

Eliminate an insect problem by closely inspecting your plants. Inspect the joint where the leaf meets the stem and inspect the underside of the leaves. Use a magnifying glass if necessary.

What are your watering practices? What time of day do you water, how often and how much?

Waiting to hear more from you.

:)

tanaaron

Hmmm... it seems like most of the leaves firmed back up today, so I cannot really post any pictures of the problematic leaves now, haha! Maybe I had overwatered for a couple days. I grow in a pot and water once in the morning and once in the peak of the afternoon usually. I use a milk jug with holes poked in the cap. The soil at the top of the pot is already quite dry by the middle of the day so I would be surprised if overwatering was the issue.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Although you can grow peppers in a 12" x 12" space in the ground you really need a large pot when container gardening.

You need good drainage - no pot saucers, all purpose potting soil and a regular watering routine. What size are your pots and what kind of soil did you use?

Unless you are experiencing very high temperatures and drought conditions watering 3 times per week or every other day should be sufficient. Water as early in the morning as possible. Forget the cap on the milk jug. Just water directly from the jug. Water each plant very well. Depending on the size of your pot you may need more than 1 jug of water per plant.

Peppers can handle under watering more than over watering.

Good luck.

tanaaron

Thanks for all the tips. I did use about 12-inch pots and potting soil. Yeah perhaps I will space out the watering a bit more.

Return to “Pepper Forum”