KayFish
Newly Registered

Pepper or weed?

I purchased a pack of California Wonder seeds from Burpee and sowed 3-4 seeds. 2 plants sprouted fairly close but took rather different forms. I was going to thin the seedlings but I was unsure which one to pull. As they grow I'm beginning to realize that they're not the same species and now I'm wondering if I've inadvertently planted a weed. This is the very first time I've grown anything other than a spider plant so much of this has been an experiment based on trial and error. In other words, be gentle with responses as I'm still learning :()
Any help with identification would be much appreciated!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Hmm it's definitely not a pepper. Looks a bit like a polygonum (a weed) but there IS a cultivated variety called -- I think -- "kiss me over the garden gate" and also a variety sold at Monticello as T. Jefferson's heritage garden plant.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi KayFish,

Warm welcome to the forum. Please update your profile to include your location. You will get much better input with a specific location.

As for your plants neither of them look like a pepper plant. :(

Sorry :!:

KayFish
Newly Registered

Thanks for the feedback and validating my (newbie) suspicions! I'm finding that gardening is more detective work than physical labor!
Also good point, ElizabethB. I'm in CT and will update my profile. Thanks for the tip.

So I guess it's fair to say it's not a plant that should be in there and therefore should be removed. There is nothing resembling it anywhere near my yard so I assume that it was some renegade seed that hitched a ride in the seed packet. Is this common?

Return to “Pepper Forum”