HonoluluGirl

Growing peppers year round in tropics

I live in Honolulu, Hawaii. I planted a bunch of bell pepper plants this year in the ground. They're from seeds I saved from super market bell peppers. They've been producing well for several months now, and the later peppers are growing smaller and smaller.

Should I keep side dressing or should I stop and let the peppers "rest"? Is there a cycle they go through, like "seasons" or do they continually produce?

Thanks.

imafan26
Mod

Bell peppers are capsicum anuum. I have not had them live too long. But you must be doing something right. Except for Kaala which will live a second year. I am lucky to get 5-8 peppers before they bite the dust. The successive crop does get smaller. Peppers like it between 70 and 85 degrees, but like tomatoes, they can balk and stop producing when it get around 90. The only bell pepper that live over for me was Kaala ( it is a mini). It did not produce much with the shorter days and cooler temperatures, but survived an continued to produce when the weather was warm again. If you can keep the diseases at bay, you can probably have the bell live on. It is probably a California Wonder if it came from the market.

HonoluluGirl

Thanks Imafan. I'll try to keep them alive for as long as I can. I've only grown those hawaiian chili peppers that everybody seems to have here, and they last for years and years.

Return to “Pepper Forum”