DonV
Cool Member

japs have NO heat

I used the the same seeds from the same packets as last year. My japs last year were either hut or CRAZY hot. Several jap lovers said hottest they ever had, I planted two kinds. This year I have 1, not sure which but irrelevant since they have absolutely no heat. Not over watered - in container (last years were too) and droop slightly on hot days (often). They are not mature but at the size that last year they were hot.

I eat 1.2 of one seeds and all and nothing.

They are near other mild peppers (also were last year).

What the heck happened?

By far my favorite pepper and love a slice in a beer (you have to try it).

DonV
Cool Member

I tried adding Epson salt, a couple weeks ago (or more) they are turning red and still have NO HEAT at all NONE. I can eat one hole and get zero heat. Like a glass of water!!!!!!!!!!

Again seeds from same packet as last years which were really hot.

imafan26
Mod

Jalapeno's and most unstable hybrids can have that problem. I planted Jalapeno M which is supposed to be hot and only one in five had any heat on the same plant. I planted seeds from different packets, with the same results. Older peppers that have not been hybridized as much like serrano did not have the same problem. I have switched and now plant a local Jalapeno called Wailua Pepper. It is much more consistant in heat and because it was bred for Hawaii, lives longer and has better disease resistance.

There are jalapenos that have been bred to have no heat.

I had the same problem with a ghost pepper that wasn't hot.

Return to “Pepper Forum”