pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

pepperhead212's 2015 peppers

I have had a good number of early peppers this season, including all of those I started two months early, but this is the big day for me every season, which is about when many, if not most, have started ripening. I went out today and uncovered my double row of pepper maggot prone peppers (I check the yellow sticky traps I put on the fabric, to see if there has been any sign of pepper maggot flies, as this is about the time of year they are gone), which I covered with about a week left in May, and dumped a bunch of ladybugs in there with them, to help fight the aphids, that have troubled me in the past with these covered peppers. I don't know if it was that, or something else, but no aphids this year! :) And the plants grew great! Incredible numbers of peppers on most of the plants, and almost nothing bad.

I even have some sweet peppers this year! I got those in a round robin for pepper seeds on another forum, when many of the hot ones in the box I had already grown! LOL So I got 3 varieties - Giant Aconcagua, Giant Red Marconi, and Carno D'Toro, the last two of which did incredibly well. However, all three succumbed to some very cold nights we had in May, even while May was the second hottest on record! So I only have one of each of those - one that lived, didn't do well in the Earthbox.

That jalafuego jalapeño is definitely a keeper! By accident, I planted one in the uncovered area (I think something else dies there, from those cold nights, and I had an extra jalafuego), and harvested a bunch off of that one a couple weeks ago, and this one, under cover, had even more - over 30 full sized peppers! All of the branches were so heavy that I was afraid I was going to break one off, like I did with the Carno d'Toro. With the ones that get so loaded down, I'll have to stake them next season with some metal stakes, as the bamboo ones just snap, even though they aren't the real thin ones.

Another keeper this season is the Thai Red Vesuvius, from Renee's Gardens, which is a replacement for Thai Red Demon, which has been a favorite of mine for years. I was skeptical, as usually "replacements" aren't as good as the originals, and you usually can't ever find something like it again! But this one turned out even better - very similar peppers, but the plants are HUGE! Easily double the size of the Red Demon, and it is ripening about the same time, as well, so I should get a second crop from it, as well.

I won't post all of the 13 photos I took today - I'll just post the first photo, and you can check them out - just click the arrow on the right of each photo to get the next one. I think the album is up to 63 for this year!

applestar
Mod

Wow, looking GREAT! :-()

I guess you are going to be cooking away this week. Looking forward to more yummy recipes :wink:

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

pepperhead212 wrote:
...Another keeper this season is the Thai Red Vesuvius, from Renee's Gardens, which is a replacement for Thai Red Demon, which has been a favorite of mine for years. I was skeptical, as usually "replacements" aren't as good as the originals, and you usually can't ever find something like it again! But this one turned out even better - very similar peppers, but the plants are HUGE! Easily double the size of the Red Demon, and it is ripening about the same time, as well, so I should get a second crop from it, as well...
Yes! The Vesuvius are massive as we discussed before. Not only tall, but very girthy (is that a word...lol). Here are mine. These are being grown in buckets, so that might even be keeping the size smaller than they otherwise might be. Also, mine is still growing. I don't have any peppers coming ripe yet. The stakes are 5 foot stakes, and on the bottom of the bucket.

Return to “Pepper Forum”