JayPoc
Greener Thumb

My humble pepper garden

Finally after a long and busy spring, and summer, and vacation....

I'm able to post up a few pics. I have a total of 9 pepper plants going, and they all seem to be doing great.

From left to right: Carolina Reaper (from the giveaway), Jwala (from the giveaway), Hungarian Wax, and two bells.

And in the buckets, the Thai duo from the giveaway. Two of one and one of the other....I forget which is which...lol.

I look forward to enjoying some soon. I also need to study up on drying them, because the Indian and Thai ones are producing WAY more fruit than I can use as they ripen...

Happy gardening! :()

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

"Humble" my a** - lol!!! Those are all lovely.

imafan26
Mod

Drying them was easy. We found out by accident. It works with ripe peppers. Put the peppers on a couple of layers of paper towels and put it on the dash of your car. Lock the car park it in the sun and go to work. Peppers were dried perfectly.

Dried peppers were hotter than fresh.

applestar
Mod

Very nice! Let us know if growing in containers get better results.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

So....I thought I'd show an update. We've already been eating many of the hot bananas (hungarian wax), jwala, and thai peppers unripe for cooking. As far as I can tell, the hotness goes like this: HW, Thai Orange Full Moon, jwala, and Thai Vesuvius (although the last two could go either way based on a very small sample size).

Bell:

Hungarian Wax:

Indian Jwala:

Thai Full Moon:

Thai Vesuvius:

Carolina Reaper...and yes, I'm very afraid:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I had to laugh at the idea of drying peppers on the hood of your car. Why not? A basket or tray lined with paper towels and set out in the sun will also work.

Your plants are beautiful.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Lookin' good, JayPoc!

How did the size of that Thai Red Vesuvius plant turn out? My three got huge! The plant they replaced it with in Renee's seeds (something that doesn't usually work out well!) was Thai Red Demon, and one of my favorites for years, but this thing is about twice the size, and almost identical in flavor and heat. And my first flush is starting to ripen now, so, like the other variety, I should get a second crop of peppers from it.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Yeah...they are huge. If I had known I would have planted them in the ground instead of buckets...but they seem to be doing just fine.

Return to “Pepper Forum”