thowedoff
Newly Registered

please help identify

Purchased these seeds off of amazon under the assumption they were trinidad scorpion seeds. Only now I'm not so sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attachments
20150505_164934.jpg
20150505_164909.jpg
20150505_164827.jpg

catgrass
Green Thumb

Looks like a cayenne pepper to me.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

That looks like either a cayenne, or one of the varieties of Italian Pepperoncini (there are several types).

thowedoff
Newly Registered

Thanks yall. I'm thinking a cayenne as well. Now I'm disappointed.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Why are you disappointed?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Most likely because the peppers he ended up with aren't remotely close to what he was supposed to be getting.

thowedoff
Newly Registered

Disappointed because it was supposed to be trinidad scorpions. I mean not that having cayenne is a bad thing but when its not what I was anticipating it sucks. Now I will never trust online again as far as seeds go. But I don't know anyone who grows real hot peppers to buy from

imafan26
Mod

At least they were peppers. I bought seeds labeled tabasco from the University extension. When I opened the package, I knew it wasn't tabasco. It turned out to be bitter melon, not even close to being a pepper.

I grow a lot of peppers and it is really easy to get the seeds mixed up. They even end up falling in the wrong pot or the labels get mixed up, so I usually wait until the peppers come out before I declare what they are. Sometimes that does not help much especially with a new pepper since I am not familiar with them and can't always remember what I plant since I may plant six or seven different varieties at a time. A cayenne pepper and the hot Thai look almost alike. Cayenne is usually longer.

thowedoff
Newly Registered

Yea this pepper in the pic is actually pretty long if it wouldnt be curled if I had to guess around 4-5" right now. I will still deff use the peppers I make lots of pepper jellies and things of that nature. I found a nursery online that sells and ships live hot peppers like ghost etc.. So I will probably order some from them and hopefully get better results.

catgrass
Green Thumb

If you've got a real long curly pepper, it could be a cowhorn. Cayenne's don't usually get that long before turning red. I understand about not getting what you wanted. so, you are looking for a real hot pepper? I am not familiar with Thai peppers.

thowedoff
Newly Registered

Yep...looking for some real hot stuff.. I'm not really a fan of eating it lol but more less as a novelty and I have family that LOVE hot hot hooooot peppers.

thowedoff
Newly Registered

The more this pepper matures the more I am believing it is a cowhorn pepper. I mean it is pretty much identical with others I see on the internet!! Which sucks even more because not only is it not a super hot.. But its a mild pepper!

catgrass
Green Thumb

I belong to a Southern gardener site, and it you want a REALLY hot pepper-try Carolina Reaper. You can't even smell it without getting tears in your eyes!

thowedoff
Newly Registered

Yes I will probably get 2 carolina reaper plants ordered this week along with 2 actual trinidad scorpions.. What part of Louisiana are you from?

catgrass
Green Thumb

South west La. Lake Charles area. Our group has a get-together in October and one of the members gives those seeds away. No thanks-I have neighbor kids and pets in my garden-don't want any part of that hot stuff!

thowedoff
Newly Registered

Thats cool.. I'm from the Lafayette area.

aaadrienne
Newly Registered

I have a long red cayenne and it looks exactly the same as your photo.

Return to “Pepper Forum”