Hgill
Newly Registered

Bell peppers??

Hi, I've got an issue with bell pepper seeds that I've planted... All the seeds are from the same organic packet of seeds yet they look different... Please advise via looking at the pics below... The first picture is about 2 weeks after sowing and the second is 7 weeks later of the clove shaped plant

Is it possible the clove shape leave plant is a weed.?? I know the plant with the two long leaves is what bell pepper plants typically look like, so I'm confused with the other one could be... I've let it grow to see as you can see in the second picture it starting to grow white little blooms

Any thoughts?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Looks like a weed to me :)

imafan26
Mod

The ones in the rectangular plastic container looks like bitter cress, it is a weed. The other containers do look like pepper seedlings.

Hgill
Newly Registered

Thanks everyone! So it's possible for weeds to grow in potted plants...

applestar
Mod

Definitely bitter cress and they are getting ready to scatter their seeds! It may already be too late -- those slender seed pods pop open when you touch. It sometimes help to wet your hands then enclose them with your hands, then the seeds will pop but stick to your hands.

skiingjeff
Green Thumb

Depending on what your using for potting mix, weeds definitely can and do occur. Sterile soilless mixes have produced less weeds IMO but I've gotten them with that as well. It's just a matter of knowing what your particular seedlings should look like and eliminating anything in the pot that isn't a match.

Also if the pots are outside, weed seeds blow around and get dropped by our bird friends all the time so they can also be imported :)

Return to “Pepper Forum”