VermontGardener
Newly Registered

Pepper seedling problem

We have started our own veggies indoors for years. We are in Vermont, so windows are definitely closed 24/7 this time of year. This year, for the first time, we are seeing a number of pepper seedlings (and some others, but mostly peppers) appear to have been bitten off, leaving only a 1" or so bare stem--and the stem is otherwise green and healthy looking. No signs of insects or other activity; we have no pets; there are no signs of wilt, damping off, or other diseases with which we are familiar. "No signs of a struggle", the inspector might say. Would much appreciate any suggestions as to what is happening and what to do. Thanks.

applestar
Mod

I hate to suggest it, but *mice* can be a hazard to indoor seedlings.
They do seem to like peppers -- I have heard horror stories of entire trays of seedlings obliterated. :x

Some of my seedlings are in the unheated garage where the mice come in to keep "warm" despite all our efforts, so I send our two kitties out/in to patrol and leave their scent as a deterrent every once in a while. The other day, they each caught one. :twisted:

VermontGardener
Newly Registered

Mice? Really? Really! And this being an 1880's farmhouse, mice are not strangers. My wife suggested it could be mice when we first saw the problem. But I said "Nah, mice don't do that. Besides, they couldn't climb the metal tubes that make the plant stand." Then I saw your post, immediately suspecting she'd put you up to it. But we set two mousetraps last night in spite of the silliness, and caught a mouse in each one. So now that I know that the mice are involved in the plot to prove me wrong, I'll set traps each night until all of the co-conspirators are caught. Thanks for the tip!

applestar
Mod

Glad to help. :D
Good luck with your mouse hunt :wink:

Return to “Pepper Forum”