freitagbilly
Newly Registered

Bell Pepper Leaves Spots

I have a very nice bell pepper plant its producing tons of pepper popping up but I have some leaves that have brown spots on them, it does not seem to effect the plants growth and health but I am just curious as to what it might be. Here is a picture maybe someone can help me.

I have check google for images but cant find something similar enough to be certain the issue.
Attachments
20150405_114739.jpg

imafan26
Mod

The damaged leaves are very dark green. Was this plant in low light and then taken outside without enough hardening off?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, the tan spots look like sunscald. Plants that aren't used to so much sun, can get burned like that. The tan patches may have been where water drops were sitting on the leaves. The droplets can act like magnifying glasses, intensifying the sun effect. It is not a problem. The new leaves that emerge will be adapted to the full sun and will be fine. The burned ones will never heal, but the problem will not spread.

freitagbilly
Newly Registered

Well I bought the plant at sams and it was indoors. It only occurred at first now that it has been outside and all the new leaves are forming there has been no sight of this. Only the old large leaves show signs of this. I do only water them in the early morning or day now just to make sure no droplets on the leaves will burn the leaves if I accidentally get water on the leaves

Can I cut these ugly leaves off? Would that put more toward grown of peppers?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Once it has plenty of new leaves, you can cut a few old ones off. That will be strictly a cosmetic operation and will not affect the growth of peppers one way or the other. On the other hand, if you cut the leaves off too soon, before it has enough others, it will slow down the growth of the plants. The leaves are how the plant collects energy from sunshine to fuel its growth and other processes. The old leaves, though spotted, still have plenty of good green areas left to do the work.

What you said confirms my suggestion. It was indoors at Sam's so not used to full bright sunshine. The new leaves that emerge are adapted to full sun. To avoid this problem in the future, just let your new plants adapt to full sun a bit gradually, just a few hours and first and then increasing.

Return to “Pepper Forum”