leke
Cool Member

Purple on habanero leaf stem a sign of deficiency?

Hi, Is the purpling on my habanero leaves a sign of deficiency? My stems are also quite purple. The plant otherwise looks healthy, but it is not setting fruit because it is suffering from flower drop.

there is some leaf chlorosis in bottom leaf

please take a photo of the whole plant and info or pics of the environment.

1 leaf doesn't make a... conclusion.

I need more info, best via photos

cheers

leke
Cool Member

Thanks for the reply. The top and bottom leaves are actually the same. Just flipped over ;)

I'm growing hydroponically with these nutrients. For light, I'm using CFLs.

All the other leaves are quite similar, especially the bottom ones.

Here is a pic of the canopy.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Flowers dropping can be of some different reasons, one of the more common ones with indoor growing is pollination, use a quivertip or small brush to transfer pollen between flowers.

imafan26
Mod

It may be a phosphorus deficiency. I cannot tell from your link what is in your solution.
I don't know how you are balancing your particular system and I am still learning about it myself, but maybe this publication will be useful to you.

https://cpl.usu.edu/files/publications/p ... 984184.pdf

catgrass
Green Thumb

What is the temp they are being grown in?

leke
Cool Member

Temps are 22-26C (72-79F), and the habanero flowers drop shortly after pollination (you can see the chilli starting to grow).
I decided to transplant it to soil now there is plenty of sun coming through the window. Assuming it will survive the transplant, perhaps it will make a difference.

applestar
Mod

Hmm... I really wasn't going to weigh in because I've never grown a Habernero specifically, though I guess some of the pepper varieties I have are Habernero-"type" -- but my experience with the hot peppers are rather limited so far.

I was hoping someone else who are more familiar with them would speak up....

But the photo of your plant -- it looks really REALLY healthy, you know?

Some of the pepper varieties I've grown naturally have darker stems and leaves. I have a very purple looking plant -- stems AND leaves -- called Bolivian Rainbow. My Takanotsume seedlings are developing dark splotches on the true leaves.

Are your sure the purplish stems and veins is not a characteristic of this variety? Hmm... Are the flowers pure white? That could be an indicator I suppose. Was there ANY purple appearance to the seedling? Two years ago, my De Arbol seedling had gorgeous purple hypocotyl stem but green seed leaves. I think blossoms were white.

I suppose when growing hydroponically, nutrient deficiency is always a concern.

leke
Cool Member

The hydro was my first and also to see how good it was. The plant did look healthy, and I think the purple stems might be a genetic trait. The flowers are a creamy white with navy blue/purple pollen holders. Since the foliage was very vigorous, I'm going to try leafy greens instead of relying on something that requires fruit to set.

Return to “Pepper Forum”