applestar
Mod

2015 Peppers

I started a lot more than this, but here are the varieties that HAVE germinated. The multiples are ones that have been planted after completely sprouting out of their seed hulls in the germinating seedzip bags.

Pepper, Alma, Édes (sweet)
Pepper, Aranyesö
Pepper, Bonda ma Jacque
Pepper, Bonda ma Jacque
Pepper, Chocolate Cake
Pepper, Chocolate Cake
Pepper, Chocolate Cake
Pepper, Donkey Ears
Pepper, Donkey Ears
Pepper, Donkey Ears
Pepper, Donkey Ears
Pepper, DOUX LONG D'ANTIBES PAPRIKA
Pepper, Dunkel violetter / dark purple, Asmx
Pepper, Dunkel violetter / dark purple, original
Pepper, FISH super variegated
Pepper, Habanero RED SAVINA® (F2)
Pepper, Habanero WHITE BULLET ® TM (F2)
Pepper, Jalapeño M?
Pepper, Jalapeño M?
Pepper, JAMAICAN HOT CHOCOLATE
Pepper, Lipstick
Pepper, Mammoth Giant Jalapeño
Pepper, Mini Paprika Orange
Pepper, Mini Paprika Yellow
Pepper, PERU WHITE HAB
(Peruvian White?)
Pepper, PERU WHITE HAB
(Peruvian White?)
Pepper, Romanian Rainbow
Pepper, Sivri Biber
Pepper, Sweet Chocolate
Pepper, Sweet Chocolate
Pepper, Szentesi Feher
(White from Szentes)
'Szentesi Kosszarvú'
Pepper, Takanotsume
Pepper, Takanotsume
Pepper, Takanotsume
Pepper, Trinidad Perfum

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

What do you do with so many pepper varieties. We keep a constant stream of various sweet bells and also grow several varieties of jalapeño. Any powders or hot sauces are purchased. What are we missing out on?

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I just got a package from a member on another forum. 24 varieties of very hot to hot. Bhut, Scorpion, Pimenta, 7 pod and others. I was intrigued by the many different shapes and colors. Red, purple, yellow, chocolate, white, orange....mind you some of these are 1 mil scoville. When you research and look into the people that grow them it is addicting. Why so hot? You can't possibly eat one without being miserable. Then you look into the cooking, sauces, powders and such. The pepper hotness is brought down to a minimum but it releases flavor that compliments it's neighbors.

My plan is to grow them because they look cool and it is a new challenge. Then add them to fruit and other veggies to make sauces at a reasonable hotness. To me is all about the spice/herb when I cook. The more variety the better. It is easy to fall into the same old routine of garlic, bell pepper, onion, celery and herbs. When you add a fruity/sweet/sour kick that doesn't make you sweat too bad there is a whole new ballgame. This is something that other cultures have figured out IMO. It is why there are certain peppers are grown for each dish.

applestar
Mod

^^^LIKE^^^

It's about cooking for me as well. Looking for the best flavors that I can tolerate because I can't handle superhots and my kids won't try even mildly hots. Looking for extra-sweet varieties.

But DH and I "discovered" cheese filled with little smoked sausage and wrapped wih bacon grilled or roasted peppers last summer, and I didn't grow nearly enough jalapenos. I tried using Corno di Toro, Peppadew, even Hot Lemon. This year, I'm looking for more varieties that will work as well in both hotter and milder flavors.

Also, last year, I tried making fermented pepper sauces. Hot Louisiana style pepper sauce and Garlicky Sriracha style chili sauce. You need LOTS of peppers to make those, and I didn't have enough sweet peppers to mellow out the hots, though according to my little brother, "They weren't that hot, but they tasted good." So of course I'm going to have to try to make hotter ones as well as some that are more like ketchup so my kids can have them too.

A friend made smoked and ground chili and paprika powders. Oh my, YUM! She used a smoker to smoke them then put them in a dehydrator. This is something I'm going to work up to -- it seems like a lot of work.

I have a strain of Fish pepper that is supervariegated, and I'm hooked. It is so beautiful, and the white striped fruits are so intriguing. After ripening to red/re-orange and dried, they smell heavenly. But I was enamored by the history that the still white immature peppers were used to make white sauces in the past. So I decided to grow a White Sauce theme garden this year. I traded for all kinds of White fruited pepper and tomato varieties. I'm going to look for the best tasting in this year's trial garden. :()

Last but not least -- I'm going to learn to cross breed peppers. I've started to practice with my overwintered peppers that are already starting to bloom. Hopefully, I'll be able to make even more interesting crosses when all these peppers are in bloom. :-()

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Here is my list. I have not started all the super hots yet and might omit a few of them.

2015 Pepper List

Sweet

Anaheim (powder)
Cal Wonder
China giant
Greek pepperochini (pickled)
Corno di toro (powder)

Hot pepper

Serano
Orange habanero

Super Hot

Pimenta Lisa - It will start out dark purple and ripen to whiteish. Not hot C. chinense F3 2014
Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion - not as prolific for some. C. chinense Isolated seeds 2012
7 Pot Barrackpore - One of my all time faves. Blocky pod and productive 2012 C. chinense
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia - Ext. prod. very hot. paper thin for powder C. chinense 2012
Trinidad Congo Red -heavy producer with terrific flavor and good heat C. chinense 2011
Yellow Scorpion CARDI - fav. heavy producer and great taste, plenty of heat C. chinense 2012
Yellow 7 Pod (Brain Strain like) Massive heat, not your standard Yellow 7. C. chinense 2012
Bhut X Yellow 7 Pod - Very popular on THP forum for heat, flavor and prod. C. chinense 2014
Brown UBSC - (Unknown Brain Strain Cross) Very Hot C. chinense 2014 (normally red)
Yellow Tobago Scotch Bonnet - fav. of all Scotch bonnets except maybe MOA C. chinense 2014
Naga Morich (Naga like anyway ?) pleased with production and heat. Red C. chinense 2014
BOC (Bhut Orange Copenhagen) All the rage on the forums last couple years besides MOA and
EOB (Elysium Oxide Bonnet) x Douglah and a Scotch Bonnet C. chinense 2014 F4 Superhot
EOB Mustard - turned up last year, not as hot, Good flavor and prolific. C. chinense 2014 F2
Yellow Barrackpore - C. Chinense 2014
Inca Red Drop - C. Baccatuum 2011
Fatalii - C. Chinense 2011
7 Pot Jonah - C. Chinense 2012
Bhut Jolokia Indain Carbon - C. Chinense 2011
Aji Limon - C. Baccatuum 2012
Beni Highlands - C. Chinense 2012
Peruvian White Hab - C. Chinense 2011
7 Pot White - C. Chinense 2012

repeat? Yellow 7 Pod (Does not include Brain Strain like, seeds larger) C. chinense 2012

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Oh,My! I planted 8 varieties and thought that was a few. I want to plant two more too. I don't really even like peppers except in powder form. My husband likes hot peppers though. So I have an excuse to play with the different kinds.

But that is a lot of peppers.

This will be my first year with two kinds of paprika peppers and I am excited. I can't wait to try smoking it also. I hope I don't ruin it. Guess I should quit counting chickens before they have even come up.

I have never heard of fish peppers or white ones. See I learned something already. I have a PALPC problem. (Peppers Are Like Potato Chips) you can't have just one.

applestar
Mod

Pepper varieties up and growing so far (expecting a few more)

Pepper, Bolivian Rainbow
Pepper, Bonda ma Jacque
Pepper, Chocolate Cake
Pepper, Donkey Ears
Pepper, Doux Long d'Antibes Paprika
Pepper, Dunkel violetter / dark purple
Pepper, Fish supervariegated
Pepper, Hanoi Market
Pepper, Jalapeño
Pepper, King of the North
Pepper, Lipstick
Pepper, Mammoth Giant Jalapeño
Pepper, Marconi/Giant Marconi
Pepper, Mini Paprika Orange
Pepper, Mini Paprika Red
Pepper, Mini Paprika Yellow
Pepper, Peperone de Senise
Pepper, PERU WHITE HAB
Pepper, Pimiento
Pepper, Romanian Rainbow
Pepper, Sivri Biber
Pepper, Sweet Chocolate
Pepper, Sweet Ingrid
Pepper, Szentesi Feher (White from Szentes)
Pepper, Takanotsume
Pepper, Thai Dragon
Pepper, Tolli's Sweet
Pepper, Trinidad Perfum
Pepper, Yellow Cheese

Mr green
Green Thumb

So do you have any favourite ones among the sweeter peppers yet, if you do let me know?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If I grew so many peppers, I wouldn't be able to indulge in my tomato fetish!

applestar
Mod

I will be able to make some evaluations by the end of the season. Most of these are new to me.

This is a combination of wanting to grow white fruited peppers for this year's theme garden "White Sauce Garden" inspired by the Fish pepper. I voiced my idea and a kind friend sent me a whole bunch of white fruited varieties from Germany and Hungary.

Extolling the interesting super variegation in the Fish pepper led to comparison with other interesting foliage colors.

I tried making fermented pepper sauces last fall and am in love. So I needed lots and lots of hot peppers and sweet peppers to balance the flavors to tolerable heat levels....

Looking at all of my pepper seed inventory after a flurry of trading, I realized I had quite a few varieties with "Chocolate" in their names... So I had to try growing them all. (Some didn't make it through the seed starting phase though :( )

Mr green
Green Thumb

Ok I can wait ;) I used to grew more of the hotter ones but as I changed lifestyle my body became more sensitive to chili and those superhots are just crazy man, can be good if your cooking for big groups of people, or for making videos on youtube for others to laugh at.

I have yet to make any fermented sauces I have wanted to, but havnt have enough of good enough chili and neither time (set to do it, theres always time..)

What is the storagetime on fermented sauces generally?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I looked up some recipes last night, and most say a year or more, so probably very nice for season to season consumption.

Mr green
Green Thumb

Yeah that is really nice. This is a must try for me now.

Saw some recipies with mango in them, sounds delicious.

applestar
Mod

I posted about it in this thread. Other great suggestions were posted that I'm definitely going to try too.
:arrow: Subject: What to do with an assortment of hot peppers

Mr green
Green Thumb

Thanks for the link applestar, theres so much to be found on this forum. :)

Return to “Pepper Forum”