dtizme
Cool Member

what to do with green peppers?

Looks like I'm going to have a pile of sweet green peppers this year. 100 + is what I'm thinking. Just wondering what I should do with them all. Give a bunch away is 1 idea. As for myself I was planning on coring and freezing the rest to use over winter. slice them up and store them in ziplock bags. Any other ideas would be appreciated. is there any good ways to pickle sweet peppers or do you have to mix them with hot peppers. Anyways my setup is a 4 ft by 4ft bottomless box, 18 inches high with about a foot of soil in it. I have 16 california wonder plants spaced out in there ranging anywhere from 2 to 3 feet high right now. They have anywhere from 0 to 5 peppers on them as of right now. Anyways appreciate any input.
Attachments
The pepper box
The pepper box
20140809_112559.jpg (41.05 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Last edited by dtizme on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

green pepper jelly! I made some last year, with just a little bit of hot peppers mixed in, not to make it hot, but just tangy. It was wonderful!

catgrass
Green Thumb

I chop and freeze peppers all summer long. During the winter they are ready for soup/stew/gumbo/cooking with beans, etc. etc. I usually have 5-6 quart bags full. I will also sometimes make rice dressing, stuff the peppers and freeze(the peppers are raw), then I can take them out and cook in the oven when I want.

3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

I made canned pepper butter, which is a like a sandwich spread. I made mine with hot peppers, although you can use any type of peppers.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Jeff, Those peppers of yours might set some ones head on fire. Did you tame it down when you made the pepper butter?

Richard

3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

Actually I didn't tame it down at all Richard, I used the hottest peppers I had and it will burn your weiner off! lol

catgrass
Green Thumb

You can pickle sweet peppers without hot peppers-I;ve done it many times. Sometimes I add only a few pepper flakes, or maybe one or two cayennes whole with them, so they are only mildly hot. The years that I make too many peppers, I give excess to the local "soup kitchen" here in town.

Return to “Pepper Forum”