applestar
Mod

Re: Fish Pepper

Subject: Fish Pepper
Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:42 pm
applestar wrote:Subject: Applestar's 2016 Tomatoes (& peppers & eggplants)
applestar wrote:Three Fish pepper plants from my supervariegated selection in the same pot. The front-right (from labeled edge) original mother plant has been over-wintered is several years old, other two were grown from her seeds last year.

The extremely variegated Fish peppers didn’t survive the winter.

This year, I have one 2017 survivor that was started last year and was grown in the ground in Apple Guild bed to replace the oldest since that was the one I thought would die... but the 2014 plant wasn’t quite finished and came back with one growing bud, so I’m letting it grow to see what happens.

applestar
Mod

Subject: Applestar’s 2019-2020 Winter Indoor Garden
TomatoNut95 wrote:That's cool; I wish I could discover a sport! Well I guess I did when those Yellow Pear seedlings showed variegation, but to be honest I don't have the room to experiment with sports. I do good to have room to grow my usual stuff, LOL!

So is the fish pepper thick skinned? I was wondering if it may be ok for drying?

Have you seen Fwroggy lately? :)
BUMP
Ah ha! I knew I had started a thread about Fish Peppers :D ...I guess I had forgotten and neglected it. :roll:

...also it looks like I never posted a cut-fruit photo...

So I just took one of a typical red Fish pepper. The middle photo is the same red Fish pepper and a very dark red-orange fruit from one of the Goldfish plants that I have been trying to figure out because the fruit is redder and bigger than it should be — approx. 3 inches long.

It came from the decently variegated plant to the right in the 3rd photo. The skimpy plant next to it has a typical orange-colored Goldfish fruit. It’s sad appearance can be blamed on one of our kitties who has decided pepper foliage makes good substitute for cat grass — she eats them and then upchucks them. :shock: :evil:

The right-most photo shows a typical Fish pepper with the variegated fruit (developing on the plant that the red fruit came from) — the white stripes become harder to see once the fruit is ripe and red.

imafan26
Mod

Yours are so beautiful. I had some seeds, I should try growing them again. Mine were not as variegated as yours.

applestar
Mod

Even not as variegated plants sometimes develop more variegation once they start growing secondary sub-branches. Sometimes the entire main stalk leaves and upper branches are not as variegated but then new growths start from leaf nodes much lower on the plant, and those are more variegated. They do seem to be showier in somewhat shadier location.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for this thread, @applestar! I recently received my fish pepper seeds in the mail and I'm so anxious to get them going to see how variegated the foliage will be! :-() (and fruit) So, does the fish pepper grow like any other pepper, or would you say it would stay compact enough to fit in a pot or five-gallon bucket?

Wow, your kitty must be pretty brave to bite into a hot pepper! :shock: Catgrass. That reminds me....I've got seeds for that, I bought them to grow and give to my ex-coworker 'cause she had a cat. But she quit, and I still have the seeds.....is there another use for catgrass besides cats? :lol:

Is that three year old overwintered plant you mentioned still alive? I've never gotten a pepper to overwinter with the exception of that awful Chiltepin pepper I grew that time.

Return to “Pepper Forum”