oggy

Bell pepper plant producing odd peppers

I have two bell pepper plants that I started from seeds that I saved from a single bell pepper that I purchased at the store.
One of them is producing peppers just fine.
The other is producing odd peppers, shaped similar to a cone. They lack the grooves that a bell pepper normally get.
At first I thought it was just that peppers weren't old enough, so I left them alone to grow. The peppers have begun turning yellow.
I finally hacked one off and bit into it and was surprised to find that the pepper had a slight spicy kick to it. Enough to tingle my lips and tongue. It's also very sweet.

What could be wrong with my bell pepper? These two plants were started from seeds that were from the same bell pepper!

I'm not going to complain, though. I think these peppers taste pretty good.

applestar
Mod

Store bought peppers are often hybrids so seeds from them won't always grow exactly the same kind of pepper as the parent pepper, and some kind of throwback can appear.

I have also heard that stray pollen delivered by bees can cause peppers to cross.

... so either way, your odd pepper plant may have some on-shaped hot pepper mixed in its genes. If you like it, let one or more fruits completely mature (at least blush in color) and save seeds and try growing them next year to see what will grow from them. 8)

Also, pepper plants can be dug up before frost in the fall, potted, and grown like house plants over the winter. Then they will be ready to bloom and fruit right away when spring arrives.

oggy

These pepper plants are indoor plants that haven't been out side at all. Mostly out of fear of introducing nasty disease/pests if I bring them into my kitchen with the rest of the plants I have.

Here is a picture of them if anyone can identify these things.

Return to “Pepper Forum”