Bguar
Newly Registered

Brown stains on pepper leaves

I am new to gardning and started my peppers (sweet and hot) from seed this winter and the plants looked lush and healthy. I hardened them off in a cold frame and planted them about a month to six weeks ago, and all seem to be going well. I kept them under wall-o-water cloches until nighttime temperatures were above 50F. The temperatures this spring in New England have been slow to warm up, and the peppers have not grown much. Their leaves appeared pale and not overly vigorous (my tomatoes, planted at the same time, however, have been doing fabulously.) Last week, I noticed some aphids on a few pepper plants, so I hit them with some homemade garlic-pepper-soap spray. That seem to take care the aphids, but now I notice brown stains on the undersides of my pepper leaves and some of the leaves look curled and wilted. A couple of the plants are clearly dying. The brown spots appear on almost all 20+ pepper plants--planted in various locations in my garden. I am not sure if these brown stains were present before the soap spray, but they clearly have gotten worse. Does anybody have any idea what is going on? I'd appreciate any help or advice anyone might give me!
Attachments
image.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Yeah, peppers and soap don't always get along. I don't remember brown stains but I do remember curling leaves.

applestar
Mod

I've had the same experience with soapy water on pepper leaves. Be sure to follow the spray with plain water rinse within 15-20 minutes. Soap will have killed the aphids by then or at least will have them pushing themselves away from the plants to keep their breathing holes clear of the suds, so when you hit them with water rinse spray, they get washed right off, and the soapy water on the ground might finish them off.

Bguar
Newly Registered

Thanks for advice--a clear case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing! I'll be more judicious with the soap next time. Fortunately, heavy rains yesterday gave everything a good rinse and the peppers are looking a touch perkier, hopefully the they will forgive this insult!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

When you say soap, do you really mean soap (as opposed to detergent)? Most dishwashing liquids are detergent. Detergent is synthetic and is much more likely to burn your plants. You need to use pure soap, like Dr. Brunner's, Murphy's oil soap, Ivory, etc.

Bguar
Newly Registered

Good point! I used dish detergent; I should have researched this further...

Return to “Pepper Forum”